Chapel Down Vinery - Tenterden Kent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapel Down Vinery - Tenterden Kent

Was given a guided tour and wine tasting present for Father's Day, So Mrs solly and I made our way to Chapel Down Winery, all I can say
    is if your ever in Kent and have a couple of hours to spare then
    make your way to Tenterden Kent, you wont be disappointed

Chapel Down Winery Web Site

Your get to see vines growing in over 26 acres and also how the wine
    is made and bottled, Chapel Down produce about 600,000 bottles every year
    so they are the largest Wine producer in the UK, You can also rent/lease
    a vine for £140.00 per year (its expensive I know) but you get to pick the
    grapes and also they will supply you with 6 bottles of quality wine made from your grapes.

Also little known wine makeing facts like they buy Oak barrles from
    Europe / USA for £400.00 each, in which some of the wine is matured but after about 3 years most of the oak intensity is lost
    so they sell on the oak barrels to Garden centres etc to recover some of the costs, just one of the facts you learn in the two hours, plus then
    you get to sample some of the wines My favourite was the Pinot Blanc 2006 - they also sell their wines to Waitrose's, Morrisons and M&S
    put their own lable on, so you can always buy locally if you want to sample their wines.

Would highly recommended the trip and well worth the 25 odd pounds that my daughter paid for the present (and thats for 2 people)
    Attached Files

Hiya Solly,

That's who we send our grapes to!

They are a great bunch (no pun intended) and it is a lovely site, I would recommend a visit any day.

Regards Dale

Comment

Originally posted by clayhill View Post
      That's who we send our grapes to!
      Hi Dale, I did ask if anyone could buy their grapes and the reply was that they cant get enough grapes for their use, let along selling them to customers.

But I know that they get grapes from all over the South East and in my area (Chatham) one of the biggest growers is in the BlueBell Hill area but I dont know the owner to ask about buying grapes + they wont be bothered with selling a few cases here and there

Comment

This is the same story with most vineyards - they cannot get enough. That's why I have to import them - shame really that you can't 'shop locally' for grapes.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

importing grapes?

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          This is the same story with most vineyards - they cannot get enough. That's why I have to import them - shame really that you can't 'shop locally' for grapes.
          Hello All, would love to know where and how you import them Cellar rat. Many years ago I used to work with two Italians who did this every year and always wanted to try. Do you press them yourself too? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X