I need a Christmas Pudding lesson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a Christmas Pudding lesson...

Ok, I am completely new to the concept of Christmas Pudding. It's not something we do over here in the states (though we have a tradition of fruit cake, which is probably an offshoot). In fact, the word "pudding" itself has a completely different meaning in American context, and usually refers to a custard-like dessert.

Bob and Martina were kind enough to send me back to the US with a "pud" in my luggage, which I have hid (err... aged, rather) away in the cupboard for the last 5 months. I had considered making wine from it, but thought better, since I have no frame of reference for how such a wine is supposed taste. In lieu of that, I have decided to serve it on Christmas day.

So I've been researching, and come across a number of articles that say one needs to douse it in brandy and bring it to the table aflame. Really??? That sounds like fun. I like burning things.

What's the story? Can someone educate the thick Yank?
    Steve

Delia is just the girl to teach you

scroll to the end for the serving suggestion

please take pics
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Excellent! I even found recipes for rum sauce and boozy butter concoctions to serve with it. What could be better than that?
      Steve

Comment

In my humble opinion.......

Rum butter is for mince pies........rum suace is for Crimbo puds!!!!

each portion (no matter how small) will be a trillion calories

but scrumptious
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

knowing how you like to cook.....how about some leek puddings alongside crimbo lunch?

the stuff of my childhood

the above link is a recipe i followed recently when i cooked for M.....maybe she should comment
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

and.....
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

perhaps when your crimbo pudding production is online........you can send me a pud
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                knowing how you like to cook.....how about some leek puddings alongside crimbo lunch?

the stuff of my childhood
                Oooh.... I like leeks... a lot. Kellie doesn't cook many things, but one of her specialties is a tart made from leek and pastry. One of my favs. I will have to try this, though. It sounds delicious.
                Steve

Comment

Steve...
                  Your post made me laugh.... and I do hope you have an indoors fire extinguisher...just incase

My mother used to make the most fantastic Christmas puds
                  I sooooo wish I had the recipe before she passed away.
                  I prefer a sauce ... rum, or brandy, as oppossed to a butter with xmas pud. Even a custard is nice
                  We normally go to my brothers for Christmas dinner, and he even gives a choice of cream, or ice cream with xmas pud... which too, is lovely.
                  Maybe I just love Christmas pud
                  I should really try to make my own

Bob, the leek puds look lovely
                  Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Christmas pud ? Yes, but don't listen to the propaganda Steve

The further north you go, the "stodgier" the food gets. Carole should know that, being in Scotland.

Scottish food tastes really wonderful, but you can feel your arteries hardening by the mouthful (and yes, I did try the much fabled "deep fried Mars Bar" from a chippie in Helensburgh, last time I was on a ship that went into Faslane).........

Our family tradition for the crimbo pud, is "double" cream (48 to 50% fat, possibly "heavy" cream in the US), and "Brandy Butter" (equal quantities of unsalted butter and icing/powdered sugar and as much brandy as you can mix in after the butter/sugar is creamed together).

I'm not a fan of the so called "sauces" as they remind me too much of booze flavoured custard (think "creme anglaise" type custard). So it depends on the household budget and preference etc... Though I suspect they're more of a "Northern" thing. The F-I-L likes those and he comes from the "correct" (subjective) side of the Pennines...

Not that I mind certain other places traditions and tastes - "devils on horseback" (prunes wrapped in bacon) are surprisingly good.....

So whatever you end up doing with your crimbo pub, I hope you enjoy it. It is quite a heavy, yet rich, dish. If you do flame it, don't forget to turn the lights down if possible as the alcohol burns blue and goes out quickly.

I presume that Bob is old enough (or had a very hard paper round) to recall the silver sixpence coin. Maybe he should have remembered to supply one with the pud, then you'd have the element of danger i.e. whoever gets the coin in their slice of pud, gets the luck - the luck of hopefully not breaking a tooth on the coin.....

Good on yer for giving it a go.... enjoy

regards

jtfb
                    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't like Christmas Pudding?
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                        No, me and the F-I-L have crimbo duff, but Clare has something else as she doesn't like it either.....

regards

jtfb
                        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                          I love CP wine but I'm also not a huge fan of it. I've recently started enjoying mince pies so I gather in a few years I'll like christmas pud.

I liken it to drinking beer. The first can of beer I had I thought was awful (not that a young fellow me lad would care to admit that to his dad) so I proceeded to drink it and after a few years I started to enjoy it. Now I can't get enough of the stuff

Actually my favourite beer (which is on offer in morrisons) is badgers - golden glory.

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
                            -----%<-----
                            Actually my favourite beer (which is on offer in morrisons) is badgers - golden glory.
                            Nah! at this time of the year it's got to be a drop of the unfeasible hangover causing "Auld Rodger" from Marstons.....

regards

jtfb

p.s. besides, any booze is pretty much an "acquired" taste.....

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                              The further north you go, the "stodgier" the food gets. Carole should know that, being in Scotland.

Scottish food tastes really wonderful, but you can feel your arteries hardening by the mouthful...
                              I suspect that fatty foods are just part of living in a northern climate. Where I live in the US it's much the same. Meat and potatoes country (and don't skimp on the gravy!). Lots of root veggies. Lots of butter. I try to stay with healthier fare when I can, but nothing beats a good hardy stew when there's snow on the ground.

I'm looking forward to giving this pudding thing a go. I'm not so sure about the whole "steam for 2 hours" thing. I don't believe I've ever steamed a dessert and then set it ablaze, so that will be something new....
                              Last edited by NorthernWiner; 19-12-2010, 03:33 PM.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X