fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fermentation

ok im on week 4 of my ribena wine its gone from 1.090 to 1.020 its stil fermenting at approximately 1 bubble every 15 seconds. Shal I rack or leave for a bit longer. I am hoping all the sugar is used up for a dry wine.

Lisa

p.s just cant wait i have had a sneak taste and up to now is amazing

Hiya,

If its 1020 its still a very sweet wine - and no where near finished (you want to be looking at below 1000, and around 0990-0995 for dry). If its still bubbling away at a rate of knots i would just let it do its thing. Depending on how much deposit of lees is in the demi?

Some here may suggest racking off of the lees and letting it ferment out further in a cleaner environment; i personally would just let it be. As Mr McCartney once said . .
    A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

Originally posted by owlwithoutfeathers View Post
      Some here may suggest racking off of the lees and letting it ferment out further in a cleaner environment .....
      Agreed Owl - racking around the 1.010 mark is normally when fermenting something with lots of solids, pulp etc.. I expect the Ribena wine has a few mm of sediment, so racking shouldn't be necessary at this stage.

Lisa - you'll know when fermentation is complete because the SG won't drop. When you think it is done, take an SG reading. Wait 3 or 4 days and take another reading. If it is the same, it is done. If in doubt, wait another few days and take a third reading.
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

thanks chaps
        i was thinking of leaving a while longer anyway coooooolio

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

im just hoping it will use up sugar xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Working...
          X