Horseradish Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horseradish Sauce

A neighbour mentioned to me that it is time to dig horseradish. Which landed him a job of showing me where there was some that needed digging !

It seems to be the way that you only take half (so it comes back next year).

I made up some sauce and have to say - WOWZEE WOWZER - this bears no resemblance to the rubbish you buy in the shops.

If you can get some - make some it's fabulous.

PS you might need a driving mask!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

MMMMMMM love fresh horseradish

A little off topic, but I had a glut of tomatoes this year - I decided on a chutney/relish idea, but left it on the gas for a little longer than I should have (about an hour)...... Result is the most delicious tomato relish I have ever tasted. Just goes to show the rubbish shop bought stuff can be

Comment

recipe please.

Is it just grated and mixed with cream?

cheers

MArk

http://markblades.com
      Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
      These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

No cream but loads of stuff pm me and I will email - I have written it up 'cos I an doing it again.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Post it up here Brian, Please.

Comment

I've made it a couple of times this year. The stuff will put hair on your chest. Or maybe take the hair off your chest, as the case may be!

I just mix mine with vinegar and salt. Nothing fancy. From there you can add cream, fresh or sour, and whatever else your heart desires.
            Steve

Comment

Horseradish sauce

Method.

Wash root hard use a scrubbing brush
              No need to Freeze
              ONLY peel the very worse bits

Use a food processor with a grater - this also contains the smell.
              Blitz (chop) will take ages.
              DO NOT CONSIDER HAND GRATING you will die - onions where never this bad.
              Use a diving mask, consider breathing apparatus!
              Once all grated, spoon into a 1 litre jar quickly.
              Add ingredients and sufficient vinegar to give it the consistency of cream.
              Stir and/or shake
              When finished should be 1/2 inch from top

Ingredients
              About One handful of roots (2)= litre jar

PER ONE LITRE kilner JAR of grated horseradish add ....
              • 8 tsp caster or pounded sugar
              • 8 tsp salt
              • 2 dessert sp fresh ground black pepper
              • One Small Jar (100g) or 5.5 table spoon made mustard
              • Vinegar

Use it straight from the jar. Brill on fish, meat, burger sausage.
              On the table consider mixing it 50/50 with Mayo - IMO nicer that cream.
              Superb on potatoes. Add to mash.
              Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 03-12-2011, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Steve - try this one - really nice.

Comment

Many thanks for this, it looks fantastic.
                  Now all I've got to do is find me some horseradish

Comment

It should be easy to spot - there has been a frost so it has died back now. Big grey leaves - bit bigger but similar to dock. Small green shoots when you pull them back. Scratch and sniff to confirm. Remember to leave 1/2 for next year.

Just found out this is the same as wasabi - you learn something everyday

Comment

Cheers C-R.
                      Going to stick a trowel in my pocket when I take the dogs for a walk.

Comment

I have made this before and can find it for sale from time to time.

I make mine up with white vinegar and add the vinegar immediately after chopping as when you add the vinegar it 'fixes' the flavour i.e. the sooner then the stronger.

I keep it in the fridge just with teh vinegar and sugar this way it will keep for months and only make it up with cream or whatever just before use.

The other way is to freeze the raw root it will keep for a year or more but when it defrostas it is softer and chops easily.
                        Malc

Comment

thanks brian, will be on the lookout next time I am down by the river.

http://markblades.com
                          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

This keeps well because of the vinegar etc, but I have found for the table 50/50 mix with with mayo is really nice and a good sandwich topping.

Comment

Ah yes, proper horseradish, it protects one from the evil-eye, feral monkeys and spots on the knees. This year, very dry around here, the roots went down 3' and were very thin. I recommend my recipe, have perfected it over the last 10 years. Scrub the roots as previously described and cut off the hairs and any really manky bits. Chop into 1"-2" bits and put into a chopper - I use the 'Delia' mini chopper. Add (home-made) cider vinegar, about 1/10th of the volume of horseradish, colemans mustard powder - about twice the volume of vinegar, salt and sugar (say 1 tsp). Blitz until you are bored.

It should be a stiff paste - if it's runny keep adding mustard powder. Store in a jar in the fridge.

The day you want to use it, mix with creme fraiche a few hours before.

It does seem to last a year in the fridge without dairy products in it - though it gets milder. Mixing the creme fraiche, yoghurt, cream or mayo shortens the shelf-life to days.

Mrs Toulouse & I have been in the kitchen with my son's swimming mask & goggles... these chaps aren't joking when they say it can get you that bad!
                              Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                              Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Working...
                              X