Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning used glass...... (one for Koomber maybe ?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
    I went to Poundland today. I couldn't find ChemPro Oxi but I could find Wizz OXI 650g tub for £1. Active ingredient is Sodium Carbonate Peroxyhydrate. Is it the same stuff?

Recommends rinsing wheras from memory ChemPro Oxi is advertised as non-rinse. I always rinse anyway.

Anyway at £1 a tub this seems pretty good to me and advertised to clean Coffee Machines.
    Oh no! That stuff is 2 for £1 at the moment I think! Buggers at Poundland should have said!

With regards to John,
    I suspect that if you've tried phosphoric then pretty much no acid is going to touch it. There are plenty of things that can cause the deposit, but finding something to get rid of it might be a bit difficult. Once I get some time and will power (probably some time over Chrimbo) I'll deploy the big guns.
    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
    -Police Squad

Comment

Abrasive brushes that fit the neck. Here is my solution.

Get one wire coathanger. Bend it straight with a little L shape at one end.
      Get some scotch bright / pan scourer green thingies, £1 for pack of 5.
      Cut up a small (inch squared) piece of the scotch bright and put into the DJ.
      Insert wire coathanger - may require a little shaping. Use L shaped end to 'pick up' the scotch bright and scrub the appropriate area.
      It works a treat but doesn't completely shift the white stains.

Hope this helps.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
        HAve you tried vinegar or citric acid - sounds like limescale to me...
        I suspect you're right that it's probably either limescale or (as Koomber mentioned) etched glass.

Citric, or other acids, should be fine, but I would be highly cautious introducing vinegar to my winemaking tools, if you catch my drift.
        Steve

Comment

What about industrial loo cleaner - - that shifts most things!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Regarding "loo cleaner", some of those products have a scent. I would avoid those, but otherwise don't see any harm provided it's rinsed real well.
            Steve

Comment

Well the only "proper" chemical I've tried so far, is a general CIP solution, that contained 32% Phosphoric acid, but as it was blagged from the place I was loading from, I've no way of knowing how diluted it was (probably very diluted knowing my luck).

I suspect that it is a limescale thing, rather than fungal etc as Graham mentioned. After all, the stains directly replicate what you'd see from an area that had water "pooling", plus as he mentioned about managing to scrape some of the stained area he could reach with a bit of SS tubing.

I'm gonna have a go at breaking one of them at the weekend to see myself, then at least I'll have an idea.

Industrial grade bog cleaner, probably, if my thinking is correct, won't work. Most of those are alkaline, so it would have to be very concentrate to have an effect (if my memories of secondary school chemistry lessons are correct).

Hell, even if I could loosen/soften it, then Simons' idea might work as well. Ha! I'll try that to see how I get on.........
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I really wish I had remembered to pickup some of these at GF - I like a challenge!
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I don't think this is the same 'dirty glass' but as a related topic, I hope you don't mind me using your thread. How do I get the white bloom off glasses that have been through the dishwasher too many times? I tried the Oxy-stuff, no change. Any ideas gratefully appreciated.
                  Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
                  Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

I was told by a publican soaking in neat bleach, but have never tried myself

Comment

I understand that the "bloom" on glasses that have been through the dish washer too often is surface damage to cheap glass from the salt added to soften the water........ and irreversible.

The only answer being hand wash and/or new glasses........
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                      X