Wine assessments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine assessments

As most of you are aware I am on the executive committee of the Guild of wine and Beer Judges, and following todays meeting we are conducting a reviewpart of a review of how the guild can serve the hobby going forward, and I wanted to get the feedback of as many of you as i could.

We know that people are not becoming members of existing wine circles (the reason VWC was born) but to further the hobby, we thought perhaps people would travel a little way on an evening or perhaps even at a weekend, to attend a tasting/educational event.

The format would be what the participants wanted (determined beforehand)

it could be a guided tasting, where a national judge would guide the group through how to taste and what to look for, or it could be an event where you turn up with your wine and have it assessed and receive feedback as the how to improve it etc.

What are your thoughts on this (and any other) matter.

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

So I suppose the question is.....

would you be prepared to attend such an event, and if yes, how far would you be prepared to travel for it?
    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I would love to attend an event where I was guided through a proper tasting. Unfortunately, I live too far away.

I have once attended such an event (about 10 years ago), and feel I would get more out of it these days. Of course one reason I didn't get much out of it was that we tasted 3 Chardonnays, and I didn't really like any of them (I'm not a chardonnay fan obviously), and I probably didn't really pay a lot of attention.

Steve
      the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
      "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Good thinking Bob.

I would probably travel an hour or so. I fear I am out of range too
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
          I fear I am out of range too

there are NGWBJ judges all around the uk, i think however the closest to you might be Telford
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 17-01-2012, 12:17 AM. Reason: spelling....DOH!
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

An hour drive is pretty much Ok for most people I think. A good format may be to taste what a good wine should taste so that we have something to aim for. And bring some of your own to compare with the good and with others.
            An idea for another area may be what the wine tastes and looks like through various stages as the more experienced wine maker will taste a wine say at the final racking and know it’s going to be good or will recognise that it needs adjustments or tweaks to improve it. But a great idea Thanks Pete
            Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
              But a great idea Thanks Pete
              Pete?

no....he is chunkier than me

(I'll get me coat)
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

74 views........6 replies.....and three of them are me

c'mon guys, we are trying to shape the future of the hobby......at least offer an opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have worked hard to get to this point, is it too much to ask you to offer an opinion?

if so i may just close the forum and give up and find a new hobby

you have all prospered from what the forum has given you..........give something back

Jeez
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Bob - have been thinking - trying to work out the best reply.

As most of you can probably gather (by the questions I post) I am new to the joys of home brew.
                  Indeed, I am relatively new to wine in general - and a complete heathen when it comes to what to look for.
                  As long as it is sweet then that will do!!

Therefore, I would love to soak up any advice or knowledge I was offered, and would love to attend a wine tasting night.
                  As mentioned, I think an hours drive is acceptable for most.

But, as I have two young twin boys (nearly two) childcare plays a big part. An evenings enjoyment surely means an overnight stop which complicates matters more.

If the guide was to come to my house.... But I suppose thy would raise prices for an individual private night

Just my thoughts an ramblings

Please don't close this site as I have gained more than most from it.

Comment

Hi Dave,

the cost of this would be nil

all i am after is everyones thought's.................I have done more than anyone (currently) involved in the hobby to promote it.....i just want to collect opinions is all

please offer your opinions and stop lurking...

regards

Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Oh.......

and by the way.....the newer you are...the more valid your opinion is!!!!!!!
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Well, I haven't replied thus far because I didn't feel the topic applied to me. After all, I'm some 6,000 miles away.

But I will say this. I'm fortunate to belong to a group that meets regularly (twice a month) and all we do is have tastings and educational events. Our meeting hall is a 20 minute drive from my house. Even if it were an hour away, I would probably attend most meetings. Any further than that, though, and it probably would be a bit too much.

Part of the problem is with the nature of the events themselves, which involve drinking. I make a point of never overindulging at these meetings, and most others do the same, but I still see people who occasionally overindulge. I'm not sure what the proper way is to handle that eventuality, but it's something that should be considered, and may become an issue with having people travel a distance.

Don't know if that's the kind of feedback you are looking for, but there it is.
                        Steve

Comment

I think it's a great idea Bob, But being miles away up here in the back of beyond doesn't help.

I find that travelling the 700 ish miles every September to get my wines assessed by a keen bunch works well though for me at the moment.

Comment

I agree with the 1 hours drive radius,,If it's for an evening out thats not too bad, i think that would be ok,,maybe for a weekend all day event,,then a couple of hours would be ok.

There's a wine club here in Bristol, which i would'nt might joining,, but i work permanent nights,,which kills off any chance of joining any clubs or doing anything social on the evening, be it wine related or anything else.
                            So really its forums like this that has provided all the information/questions regarding the hobby,,and to blame for about 30 gallons spread around the house :

So i guess, from my side if i did'nt work nights, then i would have gone along to the wine club.

Your work and time to keep this forum going are greatly appreciated from me Bob

I better go and hang upside down from the ceiling now before the sun comes up!!!
                            Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

I would be prepared to travel quite a distance for either an evening or a longer event, with plenty of notice to get cheaper train tickets. I think it is a great idea and would love the opportunity for more accomplished and experienced winemakers to taste my wines and give me their opinion and advice. A social type event would be good also, to chat to other winemakers informally. The problem with this hobby for me is that I was never an expert on wine to start with, I was always two for a tenner, three in the old days, so now that I'm making wines I like, which was always the objective, I want to know how to take it further. A lot of wine characteristics are hard to describe, or at least I'm struggling understanding the descriptions; so having a good wine and a bad wine and my wine, would be a good learning process. I also imagine such an event would be great fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X