Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More free banana's.........freezing some of them ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More free banana's.........freezing some of them ?

Ok, so yesterday I was given a box of banana's.

So some of them will just be sliced and go into a fermenter, with water and honey progressing in the usual way.

Yet, I'd like to make sure that I get a strong(ish) banana flavour, so primary will be done on the fruit, but as you often lose some of the flavour of fruit when it's used in primary fermentation, I was wondering if anyone has frozen banana to keep it until you're ready to use it, as I'd like to use half of it in primary, then be able to add the rest of it to secondary.

So does freezing banana work or just it just go black and manky ?
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
    So does freezing banana work or just it just go black and manky ?
    Yes, and yes.

I've froze bananas many times (admittedly not for winemaking, though). The skins will turn black and look off-putting in appearance, but the flesh will remain flavorful. Just like every other fruit, freezing causes the cell walls to collapse, so the texture won't be quite the same. For winemaking, that shouldn't matter.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
      Yes, and yes.

I've froze bananas many times (admittedly not for winemaking, though). The skins will turn black and look off-putting in appearance, but the flesh will remain flavorful. Just like every other fruit, freezing causes the cell walls to collapse, so the texture won't be quite the same. For winemaking, that shouldn't matter.
      Ok, cheers Steve.

I've just mixed up 10 litres of water and 4 kilo's of honey in a 19 litre water cooler bottle, then just sliced up about 8kg of banana (rinsed, "topped and tailed") and chucked them in with about 8tsp of pectolase. I'm gonna let that lot settle before I take a "guesstimate" gravity reading.

Plus I peeled some, bagged them and put them in the freezer, plus another small bunch was just topped and tailed, bagged and put in the freezer - too see how they get in.

Just got too see if I can think of what to do with the other 8 kg of them now........ Doesn't really matter if they don't last, as they were freebies anyway, just that I'd like to use them if possible.
      freebananamead2.jpg

That's what it looks like at the moment, and I got impatient as well, and sprinkled a pack of K1V-1116 in it. The Sg was 1.080 - obviously that's without being able to measure properly to allow for any sugars from the fruit.......
      Last edited by fatbloke; 09-06-2012, 03:42 PM.
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

You could also make banana syrup and freeze that.

Banana syrup aids clearing and adds body.

Boil 1lb bananas in 1 pint of water for about 15 mins then strain of the pulp

you could add some towards the end of ferment for flavour
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Banana jam is real good too - equal parts fruit for sugar. Glass bowl, microwave etc etc.

And before I get sent to sit in the car - may I say in my defense that jam is fermentable !
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            Banana jam is real good too - equal parts fruit for sugar. Glass bowl, microwave etc etc.

And before I get sent to sit in the car - may I say in my defense that jam is fermentable !
            Making jam in the microwave...?

Comment

oh yes. You have never lived. Brilliant.

Its up there with freezing apples and then pressing them whole!
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

The syrup and jam ideas ? Brilliant.

It'd mean that after Clare has done some banana bread, I can at least make use of the last of them. Food is something that I don't like to waste, even if it was "buck shee".......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Boil them, use the liquid for your banana syrup and then use the pulp for the banana bread

regards
                  bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

lol

Jam is also a good addition when making fruit beers!
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Perhaps if I hadn't been a bit stunned with the "WTF do I do with 18kg of banana", I would also have remembered reading that if you freeze them, then take one or two out the freezer and then mash/chop when partially defrosted for an excellent, low fat, low sugar ice cream alternative, then I probably could've answered my own question.

Ah well, I suppose we can all be guilty of "opening mouth, before engaging brain", can we not !

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                        I suppose we can all be guilty of "opening mouth, before engaging brain", can we not !
                        nooooo

neither myself or any of the Ponte Massive have ever been guilty of such a thing!
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

me neither you are are on your own there John!!

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            nooooo

neither myself or any of the Ponte Massive have ever been guilty of such a thing!
                            me neither you are are on your own there John!!
                            Hum ? Yeah, right..............

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X