My Favourite Gadget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Favourite Gadget

As I successfully delivered two 25L Jerry-Cans of their pre-stemmed-pre-crushed-frozen and desperately exciting contents using a very mean and thin wooden spoon I once got free with an internet order to an oriental spice jobby, I wondered if there was a thread here about favourite gadgets. I can't find one (so don't hesitate to direct me if I'm wrong) - but I thought it would be handy to hear of other folks favourite gadgets that make brew-days better-days.

Here's my starter that I would recommend to any fellow traveller along home-brew's path: a probe digital thermometer. Here's an example it looks like a more modern version of mine. But for checking the must you slip it down the airlock hole, check the yeast, check you don't boil honey/water or fruits. and it's really good for reassuring your BBQ gusts that they won't be poisoned by a banger that isn't black.

The link there shows it at £3.76... now that's a gadget I can afford!

What's yours?
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

I'd agree with you on that. If it wasn't a decent thermometer it would be a syphon ratchet clip I got off karl a few years ago... Way better than the stupid taps you get with syphons and something I rely on and use every session...

Comment

I also have a multi-purpose probe digital thermometer for under £4.00, it has dual scales and measures both fahrenheit and celcius.

A racking cane is a really useful item, clip it on the side of your fermenting tub just above the lees and you have an easy rack.

Gary

Comment

Favourite? Just tools for the trade is my view. They all have a different use - a pH meter may be no good if you want to know the temperature (mine actually has both probes and is digital).

The most useful, at the present time, are the vivarium temperature controllers and heat mats.

I bent a syphon tube so it goes to the side or 'corner' of a DJ, so I can see it even in red wines. That is handy.

The orange man reminds me I need to find the 'drip regulator clip' to see if it is suitable for a syphon tube.

I need a degassing tool (for 25 l carboys) for my cordless screwdriver. That would be the handiest at this present time, I think...

The refractometer is useful when the hydrometer does not tell the whole story and the bottler - well that is another story.

Not yet used the acid and sulphite analysis kits acquired recently (need more than I am prepared to pay for new reagents and I have not yet sorted making my own - which will be easy when I check out the equivalent molarities).

For the few times I come across the Fahrenheit scale, I can convert it to and from Celsius by adding 40, then multipying or dividing by 9/5, and finally subtracting 40. Adding 273 to the Celsius value will give me Kelvin, which is far more useful for SI units.

One other will doubtless be the level indicator to warn me of impending overflow, but for the life of me I can't remember where it is. Doubtless I will make a concerted search after the next overflow.... or just make another one....

RAB

Comment

Two home-made items tat cost v little always come up trumps..

A tool for grabbing bottles safely from bottle banks

Bottle Grabber with bottle SM.JPG

A bottom filling syphon hose - (AKA the skinflints beer gun)

party syphon tap.jpg
          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 09-06-2013, 06:47 AM.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I'm getting a bit of gadget envy, I don't have any of that cool stuff. I think my favorite gadget is my turkey baster, trying to tip Demi Johns into the measuring tube while balancing a funnel was a nightmare.

Cellar Rat, is that a litter picker? That's genius, I have to go on ninja commando raids on my neighbour's recycling to get spare bottles.

Note to self: Get more gadgets.

Comment

31YcLj2eyWL._SY450_.jpg
              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
              -Police Squad

Comment

We got everyone to send video clips in a while back regarding favourite oieces of kit

N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Some of it was recorded at the end of the evening after pontefract wine show

(maybe you could tell)
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

That'll be why I'm called Matt....
                    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

Blame Martina for that one, I just realised after watching it again....

sorry Roderick
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                        Two home-made items tat cost v little always come up trumps..

A tool for grabbing bottles safely from bottle banks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3057[/ATTACH]

A bottom filling syphon hose - (AKA the skinflints beer gun)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3058[/ATTACH]
                        This beer gun thing. Link please :-) I feel a purchase coming on.
                        With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Working...
                        X