Best Vinegar Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Vinegar Starter

So, my mother died and I'm looking to you for a bit of support.

I started with Braggs from a local health food shop - daft expensive, but it did the trick.

For about 3 years I've been able to keep going on re-inoculating with my own old mother. Winter 2012 it failed (cold I think) and I can't get a mother going with the 2 types now stocked by the local health food store (it says unpasteurised and natural), but it's not.

Shall I buy some braggs from 'tinterweb or do you know of a better English source?

Ta v much
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

I have never quite understood this 'mother' concept. I bought brewland 'starter' and it worked a treat.

We have a quantity of white wine vinegar, (best thing I could think to do with it ) presumably which would make a good starter - you are more than welcome to a pint to get you going again...
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

You are kind, generous, intelligent, a gent...

But no need - it's painful, irritating, expensive... to send through post. I'll order some Braggs from someone who does free delivery. We have now tried the white wine you gave me when I called, very strong flavour edging towards a dry sherry, quite unusual. I'll not argue that I think it would make an exceptional vinegar. Mind you - I'm sipping a glass of lychee and I think that could do the same. I quite fancy having a go at some of these flavoured vinegars that folks pay ridiculous money for at country fairs (and in posh shops). First, I need to get the ordinary working again. Daft really, we all fret about getting vinegar contamination in wine and yet I think it's quite hard to get the conditions right to make vinegar.

Did I share that link with you on a complete vinegar manufacturing plant? All in shiny stainless just like your dairy... Actually, the one you need isn't shiny - it's see-through! http://www.frings.com/PILOT-ACETATOR...7573ab0.0.html
      Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

Blimey. That's good news. I didn't even know i had a dairy!

it's amazing how much you can learn on this forum.
        Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 04-07-2013, 10:44 PM.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Sorry, I was brought up opposite a dairy farm. Your "winery" is so similar to the dairy where they pasteurised and bottled, it just seemed as natural as calling the place at the top of the stairs a landing without ever having seen ne'er airbus nor jumbo jet set down. Mind you, time is a Trixie Commodity : dairy come to think, all those years back, clean, sweet-smelling, sterile, hygienic, business like, organised, tidy. No, you're quite right. My mistake.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Only kidding - no apology required.

Very good link. Commercially a very sensible size.

From a commercial point of view I have (albeit quite briefly) considered making red wine vinegar, purely for the fact you can avoid a lot of the red tape and tax issues of red wine. and the finished price is pretty much the same.

Comment

Yes: 2 minds but a single thought. Cider (with duty & vat of £. 66) is £1/L, cider vinegar, no vat, no duty min £2/L.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
              X