Is this a stuck fermentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a stuck fermentation?

Never had this before, mates grapes from his greenhouse, Lalvin EC1118, day 4.

Click the picture to get the video on my photobucket account... with sound... Hope it all works

Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

I couldn't hear anything but I could certainly see what appears to be an incredibly rapid series of bloops. Never had anything as quick as that myself.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk now Free

Comment

Aha! Got tapatalk on the nexus now... Noise worked here, sorry - too much nerd needed to work out why not. Quite agree, I've never had a totally continuous ferment like that. Went on for 8 hrs then back to normal...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free
      Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

I've had this with a beer brew, but not for the same length of time. This goes on & on...could it just be a very active fermentation??

ps..thanks for the link for free tapatalk.

Comment

Yes, that's right - very active, I don't know why. It's quite cool, a standard yeast, low fermentables (I've 2.5kg of dextrose to add to get this to the equivalent of 1.095), but it's rather fun - and a very bright pink.

Comment

it is just a ferment under optimal conditions

rejoice!
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

On a side note, you don't need to lock down lids and use an airlock for red wine fermentations. A little air is good at this stage and can even help stave off reductive odors/flavors. I cover all my fermenters with a towel or just set the lid on loosely.
              Steve

Comment

One more thing. I don't know how often you are punching down the cap of skins, but if you do that more often it will allow the must to cool and slow things down a bit. The cap retains a lot of heat and EC-1118 is a very vigorous yeast. Punch downs every 6-8 hours are suggested when fermentation is at its peak.
                Steve

Comment

One more one more thing.

Just an observation on some of the other carboys (what appears to be red wine) seen in the background that are not fermenting. They should be topped up a bit more - up into the neck. There is too much surface area exposed, which can result in oxidation. You really want as little headspace as possible. Just leave enough so that if you have to stir it for some reason, putting a spoon or stir stick into the container won't overflow it.
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X