Windows OS updates...Arhhhhhh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows OS updates...Arhhhhhh

I hate Windows OS...right in the middle of something this morning, bang an update, smegging great then I'll just sit here & wait while some nameless computer somewhere fiddles with my laptop.

Last year on my old laptop I downloaded Ubuntu, had it on a duel boot up. I liked the way it worked, the look of it, and was doing great getting to know/learn my way around this new OS. One night a glass of vodka & coke got knocked over the laptop so that was the end of that. I found a new laptop with Windows 7, as I'd seen enough of Win 8 on my better half laptop.

So I downloaded Ubuntu again, had it set up as a duel boot, it worked for a few weeks then every time I tried to boot in Ubuntu it locks up the whole shabang. The only thing I can think of, there's a corrupt files or Windows don't like sharing.

So I'm thinking about a spare laptop, format to clear Win OS and load Ubuntu. Now I'm no computer geek, I'm self taught and it'll be a little like "swimming through mud" but I'm so p****d off with Mr Gate OS that I've had up to here

I feel your pain

when you get it going again....turn the updates off
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

and fatbloke is your man for linux!
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

As an IT guy, my background and training is in Microsoft software. But even I'm appalled at the shoddy quality of their products. They're bloated, overly complex, and have frequent problems.

I still recall an incident from 1998 where a US aircraft carrier running Windows NT was left dead in the water for several hours due to a software crash caused by a simple "divide by zero" error. Since then I believe Windows has largely been replaced by Unix for the more critical operations on naval vessels.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          when you get it going again....turn the updates off
          Cheers, now done...didn't know you could do that....see told ya, just like swimming in mud...but I get there in the end..I've worked it out with computers that if you press enough buttons you'll win, they just give up..

In fact I'm trying to learn C+, I've got an Arduino that I want to control a single vessel brewing system...but that's for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            As an IT guy, my background and training is in Microsoft software. But even I'm appalled at the shoddy quality of their products. They're bloated, overly complex, and have frequent problems.
            Well if you guys that work with Win O/S don't rate it......and just think what would/could have happened if USS Yorktown was in a battle scenario?? the mind boggles.

Comment

Ah, well, I'm not doing too bad at the moment. I do occasionally boot into windies, just to update, but never have a problem as I make sure i'm using the Linux bootloader (a.k.a. Grub).

Hell, even using the current development version (accidentally, not by design - I know bog all about development) with a KDE front end a.k.a. Kubuntu 13.10, still had no lockups or other rubbish like that. In fact, I've had my first error this morning while running the updates for it. Just re-ran the package manager 3 times and the error has cleared and all updates installed fine.

S'pose I should boot into windies now really, as Digg and The Register said about some larger updates from the last "Tuesday update" from MS........

Here goes......

{edit}well that's windies update underway, with no apparentl problems so far........{/edit}
              Last edited by fatbloke; 12-10-2013, 02:14 PM.
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yup, all updated. Only 1 spurious/unexpected restart - 21 updates in total, as opposed to the 97 upgrades/updates for the Kubuntu 13.10, which was a lot quicker and only had to be restarted as there was a kernel update amongst that lot.......

And I'm posting this from the windies just to confirm it all works OK.

For info, I don't have automatic updating, I just pile in once every few weeks/months - and the only reason I actually keep a windows install, is because Mad Keith (a.k.a. Aristaeus the banned) only has a windows based portable device, so I need it to chat with him sometimes (far too lazy to configure an appropriate application under the Kubuntu......)
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I use xubuntu (linux)! Has been awesome for several years. Its free and open source, works fantastic on older hardware. Install is easy and painless.

Comment

I've downloaded Fubuntu 13.1 ready to have another go, but at the moment as I've no disc drive in this new laptop I can't burn it. I'm going to try later on today and see if I can use my old laptop that has a disc drive to burn this copy of Fubuntu and reload over the old ubuntu OS...fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by Technotrucker View Post
                      I've downloaded Fubuntu 13.1 ready to have another go, but at the moment as I've no disc drive in this new laptop I can't burn it. I'm going to try later on today and see if I can use my old laptop that has a disc drive to burn this copy of Fubuntu and reload over the old ubuntu OS...fingers crossed.
                      There should be a way of down loading the ISO to the laptop, then installing to USB pendrive and tben running the install from there.......if that's any help.....

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I use unetbootin to create a linux usb boot disc. Any 1gb usb should be fine. Just make sure you have usb first selected when starting the computer.

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                        There should be a way of down loading the ISO to the laptop, then installing to USB pendrive and tben running the install from there.......if that's any help.....

Comment

Thanks guys you've got me thinking now...

Comment

I love how the topic starts with windows and ends in linux!

Comment

Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
                              I love how the topic starts with windows and ends in linux!
                              We MUST educate those who're less fortunate Mike......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                              X