New Vacuum Racking/Degassing/Filtering Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Vacuum Racking/Degassing/Filtering Setup

I decided a few weeks ago it was time to upgrade some equipment, so I went out and bought a new vacuum pump and filtering setup. I took some photos of it in action today on a batch of apple wine, and orange muscat port.

The vaccum pump moves 2.5 cu. ft./min. The entire 5-gallon carboy was completely degassed and filtered in about 6 minutes. In the second photo you can really see the degassing action as the carbon dioxide is sucked out of the wine. Yet since it isn't exposed to air, there isn't any danger of oxidation.

I used a 1-micron filter cartridge, which I feel puts a nice polish on the wine without stripping out too many of the flavor elements. The last photo below is of the crystal clear carboy of orange port. I'll proceed with bottling it in a couple of months.

Steve

vac_setup_01.jpg vac_setup_02.jpg vac_setup_03.jpg
    Steve

Looking good......
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Steve - I have noticed similar vacuum pump(s) different pressure ratings from the link below in California. If I remember starting at 125$ and more for the one with more pressure + all the other attachments (regulators?) hoses etc and the cost of transportation and customs charges.

Something I have been thinking of getting but the cost is slightly high. Sure does seem to do a great job. Nice looking batches going on there. Cheers Daw

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
        Steve - I have noticed similar vacuum pump(s) different pressure ratings from the link below in California.
        DAW, that's exactly where I bought mine - Valley Vintner. It's a nice unit. Only problem was that it already had oil in the crankcase when it arrived. Most of it ran out during shipping, so I had to do quite a bit of clean up before it was ready to use. Works great, though.

Steve
        Steve

Comment

Is that the lower pressure one that you got or the stronger pressure one. Is it better to the the one with greater pressure capabilities? Cheers Daw

Comment

Just been looking through their site DAW, now that's what I call a good range of kit. V impressive.

Shame we can't buy kit at those sort of prices this side of the Atlantic!
            Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            DAW, that's exactly where I bought mine - Valley Vintner. It's a nice unit. Only problem was that it already had oil in the crankcase when it arrived. Most of it ran out during shipping, so I had to do quite a bit of clean up before it was ready to use. Works great, though.

Steve
            S'pect the clean up was worth the effort Steve.

Them pic's you posted look outstanding.

regards

JtFB
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Ya! they are in the heart of one of the worlds great grape growing and wine making locations. They supply to so many vineyards. I guess that is the way they keep their prices down? Steve does not have to include duty or customs charged and also the USA has a great infrastructure and transportation and delivery network. Cheers Daw

Comment

Is that the lower pressure one that you got or the stronger pressure one. Is it better to the the one with greater pressure capabilities? Cheers Daw
                This is the lower pressure unit. It seems to perform adequately enough. In fact, I had to throttle the vacuum back just a bit because it was pulling wine through the filter too quickly. Doesn't seem to be an issue when running it without the filter.
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  S'pect the clean up was worth the effort Steve.

Them pic's you posted look outstanding.

regards

JtFB
                  Thanks John, and the clean up was indeed worth it. Once I find a permanent location for the rig, and get more familiarity with it, it should also save some strain on the back if I can avoid lifting heavy carboys.
                  Steve

Comment

25 inches of mercury will lift wine 12.5ft (I believe) so you can rack upwards!!
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Awesome. I have found a large portable medical vacuum pump, but seems to have electrical problems at the moment. I gotta take it apart and give a looksee. Do all vacuum pumps use oil? Where is the oil? Is that filtering apparatus just a normal water filtering cartidge and holder? I reckon 1 micron is just right. Do you filter with a coarser cartridge first, or can you just filter through the 1 micron cartridge the 1 and only time? I gotta have a setup like that. Is the wine completely degassed afterwards or does it require more degassing later? Is it easier on the vacuum pump if you put the receiving carboy on the floor? Is there a need to run sulphite solution or water through first? Can you use the filter cartridge again at a later date if you run sulphite solution through immediately after the wine filtering and then before the next wine filtering?

Darth Morton, is your setup like this?

Sorry about all the questions.

Last edited by Hippie; 18-02-2008, 04:33 AM.
                      REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Hippie,

There's a couple different types of pumps. This is a rotary vane unit, which does need oil. I seem to recall that some of the diaphragm units don't ... but they're also more expensive.

You're correct - the filter is just a standard RO water filter housing, fitted with 3/8 in. couplers to attach the hoses. You can find cartridges that fit these all over online. The 1 micron seems to work just fine for normal filtering. Just like when using a Mini-jet, you want to make sure the wine is pretty clear to begin with, or the cartridge can clog. What's nice, though, is that when a cartridge clogs, you just stop the pump, pop it out, and rinse it off.

I haven't used this a whole lot yet, but one of the guys on the other forum says you can just rinse the cartridge out, put it in a ziploc, and throw it in the freezer until the next time you use it. So that's what I did.

Some cartridges are made to be used over and over. These usually cost $30 or more. Right now I'm sticking with the cheap ones until I get more comfortable with it.

Is the wine completely degassed? All I know is a TON of gas comes out when racking under vacuum. I don't know how well it would pass Bob's shake testing, but it's degassed enough for me. I can rock the carboy back and forth and not get any bubbles afterward.

Steve
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                          25 inches of mercury will lift wine 12.5ft (I believe) so you can rack upwards!!
                          Gee thanks, Bob. Now I'm going to have to try this of course.

I did actually run some water through it on Friday uphill maybe 4 feet.
                          Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                            Darth Morton, is your setup like this?
                            fairly similar yes....you can have up to three filters in line too...so in theory you could run it through 5 then 1 and then 0.5

I use 1 micron for reds and 0.45 for whites
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

.45? Wow. Don't say that on another forum or you will be stoned for filtering out the taste and color !!! (malarky)

Thanks for all the info Steve. You are alot better guy than Bob said.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
                              X