Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardening Day

Worked outside in my new garden today.

Just thought I'd show you a few of my pics.
    Attached Files
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Well done Danina, looks excellent.

Be nice to have that much space. Though I reckon I'd have buried it in fruit bushes by now

This years conversion from mainly grass and flowers for us is going well i.e. 2 eating apple trees, 2 cider apple trees, 1 eating pear, 1 cider/perry pear, 2 (or maybe 4 I don't recall) gooseberries, 3 blueberries, 3 black currants and some red currants.

All of them seem to have taken and are budding/showing some leaf.

Last years raspberries look like they're gonna do well.......

Not forgetting the 8 out of 9 chilli plantings that have germinated and coming along very well.

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Looks great Danina, we've got a few things freshly planted, some bean vines and pea vines to climb our trellis and provide both nourishment to us as well as privacy (once they fill out) for hot tubbing adventures. Until they fill in ... the neighbors can either avert there eyes or eat their hearts out. ;-)
      We all have to believe in something; I believe I'll have another glass of wine.

Comment

Well, I've been here for 2.5 months, so the garden is relatively new for me. The previous tenant here was 85+ years of age, and let a lot of things go. Since I've been here, I've done a lot of "clean up" work, since I don't even know what's in the garden. I doubt anything nicely edible (read: fermentable).

I bought some chrysanthemums, though. Those are the red, white and yellow flowers you see in fish-pond-thing. I make a very good chrysanthemum wine. Also, one of the pics is of my newly planted gooseberry bush. I also bought and planted a white currant and a red currant bush. The little pots are of my tomato/cucumber seedlings, which are limping along. Even my basil seems to have problems. I guess, despite having no frost, I think I'll have to bring them back inside for a week or two.

I was thinking about planting a fruit tree in the garden, but in my previous residence, I had 3 big oak trees which were over 100 years old, and the leaves were just a "trauma" for me. So I decided to get the smaller variation on the fruit theme (bushes).

Thanks for the kind words. My body is hurting today from the work of yesterday!

M.

Comment

Best advice I was ever given was where possible leave the established bits of the garden alone for a season. All sorts of nice surprises may be just waiting to pop up and delight you.

In one of my house moves there was a strip of ground that looked bare of everything except a few clumps of grass and dead bits. Later it turned into a wonderful herbaceous border with summer and spring bulbs galore.

So patience, Grasshopper.

(Good for your hurting body too )
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Got the beds a little more "structured" today. I am hoping during next week, I'll be able to buy more fruit bushes and plant them strategically.

Thanks for the compliments. I am sure the German "preciseness" would find fault.

Comment

Hello all,
              Celt here with second post.
              My other loves are gardening and tropical fish, well all fish really !

Hi Danina, I spent some time in Germany, Berlin mainly and I adore German food and drink.
              I wanted to live in Germany, but sadly it never happened.
              Hope we can talk a bit more on gardens and German food and drink.

Comment

gladly!

Welcome to the forum!

M.

Comment

Some pics of my garden!

larry - curly and moe are his identical twins.

rondettes (baby rondos) and the moselettes (baby rieslings "borrowed" from the mosel valley)

the veggie garden
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
                    larry - curly and moe are his identical twins.

hmmm...

wouldn't that make them triplets?

they sure seem to be taking to their new home well.
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

well, yes, but wouldn't the other two be identical twins?

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                        hmmm...

wouldn't that make them triplets?

they sure seem to be taking to their new home well.
                        Originally posted by Danina View Post
                        well, yes, but wouldn't the other two be identical twins?
                        Perhaps they're like Hill Billy families and they're their own Grandpa?
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Well, after 6 weeks without rain, we finally got some today.

Everything is looking very green so shortly after the rain, but it's dry as a bone, after about an hour of it ceasing.

larry, curly, and moe are doing well in their homes. I think I even have two shoots on each vine (Bob must come and help me decide what to do with that!).

My one currant plant is taking off like a star, the 2 others are not doing as well. The gooseberry is being crowded by an old lilac. I think I will have to move it.

Tomatoes, cukes, and rhubarb are doing well. Woohoo!

M.

Comment

Working...
                          X