Tidied up the Yard Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tidied up the Yard Today

It was a beautiful day here in the arctic part of the U.S., so I spent the afternoon cleaning up the yard. Got *most* of the dandelions taken care of. About the only thing here that will kill them is a chemical called 2,4D, however, it's also noxious to grapevines, so dandelions have to come out manually using a nifty tool we call "the popper".

Thought I'd post a few pix of my humble little vineyard that I ramble on about sometimes. I have two blocks of vines. The oldest was planted in '03, although they don't look that old because I had to regrow the trunks a few years back due to a late frost that killed most of the buds. These are Frontenac grapes, developed at the local University. I have 8 in total.

Frontenac006.jpg Frontenac007.jpg Frontenac008.jpg
    Steve

This is the second block of vines, planted last year. They are called "Marquette" and I have 16 of them. They are closely related to Pinot Noir.

Not much activity on these yet, I'm afraid. They also suffered through a late spring frost. All but two of the plants are starting to push shoots now from the very bottom of the vine. They'll make it, but, just like with the Frontenac a few years back, they will have to start new trunks again this year.

Marquettes007.jpg
    Last edited by NorthernWiner; 25-05-2008, 12:45 AM.
    Steve

Comment

Looking good. Neat as a pin.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Looking well ordered and tidy matey...

Is that a small stone mulch?

I keep meaning to do that with mine, as I am constantly weeding (breaking out the hoe as we speak)

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I agree, very orderly and tidy, I shall refrain from showing pics of mine.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Is that a small stone mulch?
            It's actually cocoa bean shells. Leftover scraps from the manufacture of chocolate.

When first applied, it makes the entire yard smell like Wonka land.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              -----%<-----
              About the only thing here that will kill them is a chemical called 2,4D, however, it's also noxious to grapevines,
              -----%<-----
              Isn't that the stuff that was in "Agent Orange" ? or was that 245T ?

Either way, surely if you have some sort of shield (wood/cardboard/plastic or something like that), then you might be able to make use of one of the "systemic" weedkillers, such as "Roundup", that contain glyphosphate ?

And no harm should befall those beautifully set out vines.

Plus, does the tool you have always manage to remove the entire root of the dandelion ? They can have horrendously long roots, and will eventually re-appear if any of the root is left in the ground.

Just my 2 pence/cents worth

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                Isn't that the stuff that was in "Agent Orange" ? or was that 245T ?
                Both actually! Agent Orange is a mixture of equal parts 2,4D and 2,4,5T. Effective stuff, and if there's a strong wind, it will travel for miles. Last year we replaced our fence, so the yard was fenceless (and de-fenceless) to our neighbors who dump 2,4D all over their lawns. My vines got a dose and started to develop cankers on the leaves. Fortunately they recovered later in the season.

We use a commercial fertilizer with a light mixture of 2,4D on the front (un-fenced) lawn. But none in the back.

The "popper" is not a perfect design. You have to hit the weed dead on to get the root. I always end up coming back a few weeks later and getting more, but I can live with a few of the little yellow b@stards.

Steve
                Steve

Comment

It's actually cocoa bean shells. Leftover scraps from the manufacture of chocolate.

It is fab stuff. And smells lush
                  I bought some a couple of years ago, from Homebase. But if I remember correctly, it says on the packaging, that it is poisonous to cats/dogs

Lovely pictures

Carole
                  Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                    But if I remember correctly, it says on the packaging, that it is poisonous to cats/dogs
                    Carole, I hope rabbits are on that list also.

You are right, though. Some animals have a low tolerance to the theobromine in chocolate. In the US, there were 16 cases reported last year of dogs affected from ingesting the cocoa mulch. All were small breeds and, fortunately, there was only one fatal case. I don't remember seeing anything about cats, but it wouldn't surprise me.

My own dog doesn't eat the mulch, although she did once get into a box of dark chocolate. So I know she has a sweet tooth.
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
                      It is fab stuff. And smells lush
                      I bought some a couple of years ago, from Homebase. But if I remember correctly, it says on the packaging, that it is poisonous to cats/dogs

Lovely pictures

Carole
                      There must be something wrong with my nose. I've used the stuff and found the smell revolting.
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

I have a dog that ate some chocholate it was not and to this day years later is not a pretty site. He is now blind in one eye and is continually acting like he is on a bad acid trip he will walk across the floor and just go nuts then lay in the corner cowering and shaking bad sceen.
                        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

That's dreadful, the poor thing. I knew chocolate wasn't good for dogs but I never knew it would have such a devastating effect.
                          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                            I have a dog that ate some chocholate it was not and to this day years later is not a pretty site. He is now blind in one eye and is >continually acting like he is on a bad acid trip he will walk across the floor and just go nuts then lay in the corner cowering and shaking bad sceen<.
                            I do this alot, and noone seems concerned. I am sure your dog is WAY more highly thought of than myself, however.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

now thats plain funny......

cheers G

cheered me up no end

pip pip
                              bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                              X