X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is one link

http://www.winemakermag.com/feature/83.html
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

more

http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-3.html

http://howtobrew.com/section1/chapter2-2-1.html

http://byo.com/mrwizard/1042.html

http://byo.com/mrwizard/1064.html

Interesting reading

I really need to get out more eh?
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

You said it!

I only use finings if i feel it is really needed although i do have a supply of them at hand, i try to let them clear naturally if poss.

Comment

Information is a wonderful thing (especialy when someone else has taken the trouble to find it for you).

I've just soaked a really grotty barrel in washing soda similar to sodium percarbonate mentioned in the how to brew article, it came up gleaming. Unfortunately fewer supermarkets are stocking it. If you see it I recommend buying some. It's been around for donkeys years and is very under rated, it brings up glass ware like new.

I'm looking forward to the article on finings, I haven't made up my mind as to the best way to use them, I want to have a chat to the brewers at Ringwood and the Hopback brewerys too, i'm sure they will have some good info.

cheers Lockwood
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ruthie
            Sometimes i do, sometimes i don't.
            Sounds like my wife. Oops, you are talking about wine. Sorry.

Comment

i just use whats in the kits - sometimes i just leave the wine to clear on it's own
              Geordie : refers to a person originating from Tyneside and the former coal mining areas of northern County Durham or the dialect spoken by such people. There are a number of rival theories to explain how the term came about, though all accept that it derives from a familiar diminutive form of the name "George".

Comment

I like Sparkelloid. I want to try other things however. I have yet to going the distance without any. I want to try that too.

Comment

I use bentonite or harris super enzyme at the start, then Ritchies kwik clear finnings at the end with a filter through the Harris filter before bottleing, had great results this way and free's up my d/j's.
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Yes I am one of those fining users. It does great work for me. Since I do not filter the fining is my alternative along with bulk ageing. I have a mini filter system and if I have to one day I may use it. DAW

Comment

I used them at first on my kits, now that I have learned the benefits of bulk aging in volumes, I no longer use them.
                      Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you

Comment

Originally posted by Mo~Fo Winery View Post
                        I used them at first on my kits, now that I have learned the benefits of bulk aging in volumes, I no longer use them.
                        Me tooism. I might use a protein - something for astringency or bitterness like egg whites or a product called Gelsol which is used sometimes as a co-fining agent with bentonite. That's in a bad grape year. As far as fruit wines I've never used a fining agent, but I know some fruits can be a problem clearing. Still - especially with wine grapes, a month in cold storage at 25 to 30F, not a problem in the garage in this climate, seems to clear my wines crystal clear, with the addition of several rackings.

My take on all of this is impatience. Commercial wineries have a reason to push their wine through filters and a return on their investment. It's quick but not the best way for home winemakers, whose only goal should be producing, if not a great wine, a drinkable wine. Cold storage, racking and age, will in most cases take care of any de-gassing and clarification problems in the wine.

Comment

I use bentonite in the primary with kits. Other than that I have a 6-month rule... give the wine 6 months to clear on its own before making any decisions on fining. 9 out of 10 seem to clear just fine without adding anything.

Steve
                          Steve

Comment

I just follow instructions, if the kit says use it i do, maybe later as i get to make fruit wine in the summer i may not. also depends what you guys recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Axl View Post
                              i always use finnings on all my wines at the moment, as i don't know any different
                              ditto

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                                I use bentonite or harris super enzyme at the start, then Ritchies kwik clear finnings at the end with a filter through the Harris filter before bottleing, had great results this way and free's up my d/j's.
                                Duff, what is a Harris filter?

I ask as I'm thinking of guying some sort of filter system to finish my wines prior to bottling

Comment

Working...
                                X