Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BrewTrax - Which mobile operating system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrewTrax - Which mobile operating system?

Following on from a topic at Februarys VWC meeting, there was a hot topic on logging brew information on mobile devices....

BrewTrax is currently available for Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7. If it was also available as a mobile "app" for use on mobile phones, smartphones, tablets etc, which would you most like to see it developed for?

There will be a separate poll and discussion covering what you might expect to see on a mobile home-brew app.

You may vote for more than one! Thanks for your participation!
    iOS (Apple iPhone & iPad)
    0%
    Android (e.g HTC smartphones and tablets)
    0%
    Windows Phone 7
    0%
    Blackberry OS/QNX
    0%
    WebOS (HP)
    0%
    Nokia\Symbian
    0%
    Other (please post a comment in the main thread with details)
    0%
    I either don’t know what an "app" is, or I don't care and wouldn't use it!
    0%
    Stuart

View My Current BrewTrax Stat's here
    BrewTrax forum discount details here

can I vote for the same one multiple time or is that cheating
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I think I enabled "block cheat mode" in the poll
      Stuart

Comment

You can only vote once in a poll
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

what does WebOS (hp) mean?

I'm assuming a web based app (sorry to be dim)
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I think you can only vote once, but it should let you vote for more than one option in thatsingle vote (if that makes sense )

Bob - WebOS was developed by Palm (remember the old Palm Pilots PDA's?). HP (Hewlet Packard) recently bought Palm so now HP own a mobile operating systems called "WebOS".
            It's apparently going to be one of the biggest competitors to Apple's iOS later this year.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebOS
            Last edited by AquaCom; 22-02-2011, 10:50 PM.
            Stuart

Comment

Windows Mobile would be good
              BrewTrax Stats

Comment

WebOS will be shipped with all new HPs, but along with Windows not instead of. They have also just announced a tablet but have not said when available or how much it will be.

I voted iOS and Other. The other for me would be a regular http portal where ANY internet enabled device could acces it. This would be easier to code than a lot of the apps, and have the advantage that it was cross platform compatible.

Comment

Android is linux based anyway, so my "other" selection would be any mobile linux....

Why? Because of the freedom and open source nature. Plus the libraries can easily be made available for the worlds misguided windows users.......

regards

fatbloke
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Just bumping this one up to the "New Posts" area
                    Thanks to everyone who has votes/provided opinions so far. Looks like Android is a popular one. Keep the votes coming.
                    Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      what does WebOS (hp) mean?

I'm assuming a web based app (sorry to be dim)
                      Pooh - that what it means in reality!
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by AquaCom View Post
                        Just bumping this one up to the "New Posts" area
                        Thanks to everyone who has votes/provided opinions so far. Looks like Android is a popular one. Keep the votes coming.
                        I have been quoted as saying that a "A HTC Desire is the thinking mans iPhone" but I have to say I expected the iphone numbers to slaughter everything else!

VERY Good point about HTTP portal - Still universal and interestingly can be quicker. I give you eBays new droid app - very nice, but - a lot slower than wap. Not really ideal when bidding of hard to find winemaking stuff with 10 seconds to go!!

Comment

I see one drawback of it being HTTP/web based rather than an "app" installed on the device...

Most of us will wander down to our cellar, barn, garage, or even down to the vines etc in the garden. Will we always have a reliable wifi or mobile internet connection in these areas? Perhaps most of the time....? Do any of you have a "real" cellar which has not internet signal? Interested to know..

If BrewTrax was an "app" then it could be used offline and simply synced as and when the user wanted too.
                          I am not dismissing the HTTP/web idea... I am just not sure its better than a physically installed app that is designed to run on the O/S of the device.
                          Stuart

Comment

A couple of years ago I would've agreed with you Stuart. But I feel completely wired to the world these days. There are very few times when I'm without internet. And when I am without it, I feel lost. Without internet, I can't bank, communicate, or even work. So I'm connected pretty much all the time.

Sad, ain't it?
                            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by AquaCom View Post
                              I see one drawback of it being HTTP/web based rather than an "app" installed on the device...

Most of us will wander down to our cellar, barn, garage, or even down to the vines etc in the garden. Will we always have a reliable wifi or mobile internet connection in these areas? Perhaps most of the time....? Do any of you have a "real" cellar which has not internet signal? Interested to know..

If BrewTrax was an "app" then it could be used offline and simply synced as and when the user wanted too.
                              I am not dismissing the HTTP/web idea... I am just not sure its better than a physically installed app that is designed to run on the O/S of the device.
                              IF you put the app on the phone are you going to cover sync too?

Comment

Working...
                              X