Commercial wine prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial wine prices

Come on, admit it, what is the most you have paid for a bottle of commercial wine?

I paid £12 for a bottle of Marquis de somethingorother and to be honest I have made better stuff from the Beaverdale kits.
    £2 to £3
    0%
    £3 to £5
    0%
    £5 to £10
    0%
    £10 to £20
    0%
    More than £20
    0%
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Once paid £90 ($180 US) for a nice bottle of Barolo to celebrate the wife's and my 10th anniversary. I don't know if it was worth that much but it was definitely better than anything I've made...

...yet.

Steve

Comment

If I can make any sort of drinkable wine at all, all the commercial ones are too expensive!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Hippie. I was once given a bottle of wine as an award for something or other. Much was made of the fact that it cost over £30. It was absolutely horrible. I used it for cooking some cod in. Didn't taste too bad then
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

£2.58 - it was the only bottle of wine I have ever bought, and I only paid for a quarter of it. We got it to accompany a roast dinner. It was a Soave (we pronounced it swarve; obviously wrong) and it will forever be referred to as the worst wine and we compare everything to it.

Comment

The co-op is selling chateauneuf-du-pape for a tenner, worth a try...

I liked it a lot

regards
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

You are such a lush Bob! Don't you have plenty of your own to drink?

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

I refuse to pay anything over £6 for a bottle of wine.
                Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
                Twitter: VirtualWineO
                Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Hi all.
                  I was tempted a couple of Christmas's ago to pay £12 for a bottle of Barolo. What a mistake. I had never tried Barolo before but had people tell me about it.
                  Anyway it was supposed to be "E" bodied.
                  It was a complete disapointment ,more like an "B" & was not very good.
                  I will not pay that much again without having tried some of it first.
                  I will stick with the £3-£5 bottles I normally get.

Silverfox

Comment

Back around 1980 I paid what would be 25 pounds now which was $51.00 w/tax back then for a bottle of white wine. It was pretty good but I wouldn't pay that now for one. The last that I bought was about $10.00 for a bottle of French red wine to use as a topper off and it would suffice for that purpose, BARELY. God, some of those commercial wines are worse than mine in a bad batch so I think, as my brother put it when he tasted of that "French s_ _ _!" as he put it so well, I'll stick to Alabama red-neck technology. If it's locally grown it's got to be better, I may use some weird ingredients for some of my wines but as long as I can drink it along with family and friends who cares if about the only cost involved was a couple pounds of sugar to the gallon. A good muscadine wine will compare anyday to a French or California wine in my opinion and for a lot less money.

Comment

You can say that again! I have been drinking some superb '04 batch 1 Red Muscadine!

It is aging oh so very well!

The '04 batch 2 is still in 6 gallon bulk!

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Hippie you sound like you're a muscadine addict, lol. If a friend's possum grapes does good next year I want to add some of those to a batch of 'dine. He brought me a couple of clusters that were hanging full this year and they had a pretty good taste. He and I went over to his place and pulled the vine from the tree that it was up and rerouted it back into the opening we had cleared under the trees a couple of years ago when he got some beehives. We put some posts in the ground and stapled some wires on them and tied the vine onto them. If a plane flies over head they'll wonder what those rednecks down there are up to, the vine is spread out like a big "T" now with vine tips going straight ahead and some left and some right. Now it'll be my luck that next year's crop will be a poor one.

Comment

Funny, we have a town 20 miles from here named Possum Grape. Lots of them here also. I have never found any ripe enough for wine. Seems the critters take them all before they get ripe enough.

I have been addicted to muscadines since my Grandma and Momma used to send me and my 3 brothers out to the woods with 5 gallon buckets and tell us don't come back until they are full. Hard to pick 5 gallons of wild muscadines when you are hungry!

I would like to have a few acres of woods if they harbored a few wild vines.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Whenever I'm down in the woods working on my patches and spot a muscadine vine that has some on it in the fall I go and check it out. If there are no vines already on the ground there soon will be so they'll root. Then I'll go back and get a cutting or two and come put it out on my muscadine fences. I've got several hundred feet of fencing now covered with muscadines and scuppernongs. I want a cutting off that possum grape at my friend's place over there this fall.

Comment

Jack Keller has told of different wild grape species that flower during the same time hybridizing naturally.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Working...
                              X