Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Demi John Bungs

Hi

My first post, but I've been lurking on here since July (and what a helpful, friendly bunch you all seem to be) and my winemaking is back in full flow after a break of 13 years (and my previous results were nowhere near as successful as the latest efforts due to the better equipment and all the hints and tips I've found on here).

I've managed to scrounge a good few Demijohns from freecycle, and a couple of bargains on Ebay to build up my equipment, but a few of the glass Demijohns have smaller than usual necks. I'm not convinced they're designed for the fermentation process as they mainly have screw tops but they're the right size and shape, so why not?

Does anyone know of anywhere I might find slightly smaller than normal holed bungs? They're not that small, but just that little bit too tight to take either a cork/rubber holed bung or the plastic safety stoppers and I'm in such full production flow that we're in danger of having a line stop if I can't find some suitable bungs!

Thanks in advance.

Hi Penny and welcome, I have the same style d/js with the screw caps, rather than the rubber airlock bungs use cork ones they fit nicely, also if you try different suppliers you can get a slightly smaller rubber bung (same at the top but slightly smaller at the bottom) the smaller ones are a darker red colour.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thank you so much for such a quick response.

I've tried well soaked cork bungs, but they still don't fit. I have various screw top DJs, and I can force a rubber bung into most of them, but not these handful which are that little bit smaller.

I'll keep an eye out for the darker red colour bungs just in case, but I don't have a "local" HBS, so have to do all my shopping on line.

Comment

I have just measured the smaller red bungs and they are 15mm as against 18mm on the general ones, why not ring or email your online supplier I'm sure they'll be happy to measure them for you.
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Penny

If you are careful and use a sharp knife (craft type thingy), you will be able to shave a standard bung down to fit in no time. I recently did this and it worked fine.

Oh and congrats on making your first post.
          Last edited by Richard S; 08-11-2007, 06:11 PM.
          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Hippie will be along shortly to tell us that "bung shaving" has been outlawed in 48 States in the US and we should all be tortured for practicing it.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Lmao, I remember the thread well.
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by PennyGSD View Post
                Hi

My first post, but I've been lurking on here since July (and what a helpful, friendly bunch you all seem to be) and my winemaking is back in full flow after a break of 13 years (and my previous results were nowhere near as successful as the latest efforts due to the better equipment and all the hints and tips I've found on here).
                Your in safe hands Ive just started brewing in July after about ten years and my brews are 99.9% drinkable where as years ago it was more like 50% and its all thanks to this site asking questions and reading all the info available.
                http://pressboost.co.uk/

Comment

Welcome Penny

yes we like questions, welcome aboard.

regards
                  bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks everyone.

I really wish I'd thought of measuring and then contacting retailers before I posted on here!

As to shaving, I'm not generally allowed to touch sharp things (or power tools, or DIY furniture etc), but perhaps I can get the OH to assist. He's surprisingly keen on my winemaking lately as they're actually turning out drinkable in comparison with the hit and miss affair all those years ago.

Can I just add that I think the new kit review section is a brilliant idea. At the moment I'm just concerned with pleasant and slurpable, but if I keep going, I'm sure I'll start to get fussier!

Keep an eye out for further questions. Mind you, there's so much info already on here, there can't be too much left to ask!

Comment

Working...
                    X