Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarification - bottling/filtering kit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification - bottling/filtering kit ?

Got a "flyer" through the post from Brouwland the other day.

They had some nice piccies of mini-jet filters, enolmatic kit etc.

So I was looking to clear up a few little questions it prompted.

Now the mini-jet is just a filter, yes ?

Whereas the enolmatic is just a vacuum bottle filler, yes ?

And to use an enolmatic to filter as well as a filler I'd need to get the matching cartridge filter unit (tandem) as well ?

It also said about the cartridge filter element,
    seem to be available in .25, .5, 1 and 5 micron sizes. I'm presuming that you still need to clear the wine first ? or is it possible to just bang it through, maybe stopping to clean the filter out periodically ?

TVM for anything that you know about these products.

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

John, you're correct that the mini-jet is just a filter, whereas the Enolmatic is a bottle filler with an optional filter cartridge attachment.

Your presumption is also correct that you should let the wine fall as clear as possible before filtering. Filtering cloudy wine will not only quickly clog the filter, but also renders the filter pads/cartridges less effective.

It's also worth noting that these types of filters are rated as "nominal" (vs. "absolute"), meaning they will remove most, but not all, particles within the given micron size. Not that it matters much in the larger picture, but it's useful to know.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
      Got a "flyer" through the post from Brouwland the other day.

They had some nice piccies of mini-jet filters, enolmatic kit etc.

So I was looking to clear up a few little questions it prompted.

Now the mini-jet is just a filter, yes ?

Whereas the enolmatic is just a vacuum bottle filler, yes ?

And to use an enolmatic to filter as well as a filler I'd need to get the matching cartridge filter unit (tandem) as well ?

It also said about the cartridge filter element,
      seem to be available in .25, .5, 1 and 5 micron sizes. I'm presuming that you still need to clear the wine first ? or is it possible to just bang it through, maybe stopping to clean the filter out periodically ?

TVM for anything that you know about these products.

regards

JtFB
      John the filter machines are basically a polish machines they will not stand up to heavy sediment. I know this from experience. I had a Red Zifandel that I wanted to bottle to get the glass for another wine I had on the go. The wine was bulk aging for a couple months after fermentation but still had sediment dropping out quite cloudy actually so I decided to filter the wine and not wait for it to clear on i's own. To make a long story shorter I covered the wifes cupboard with red wine in about twenty seconds of filtering and had to live with the wrath of S.W.R.H. for a couple weeks. Wait until the wine is clear.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Oh right! OK.

It's just that I was thinking about one or the other and while I could go for a mini-jet, it looks like it might be sensible to save the pennies for an enolmatic and tandem filter - then I get the best of both worlds i.e. I can bottle with the enolmatic, but also de-gass, and if I connect it to the tandem filter I can filter it - plus the filter cartridges are re-usable.

Ha! having enough glass isn't so much of a problem (if you've read some of my other threads/posts).

So it would appear that it's just a case of saving the pennies - Oh and finding out where it's gonna be cheapest (currently seen the enolmatic for £240).

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
        X