enolmatic etc - pricing........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enolmatic etc - pricing........

I'm trying to price up an enolmatic, a tandem filter and cartridge.

Now I see that "homebrewwales" list the bottler, the filter housing and the filter cartridges.

I was wondering where those who have such kit got them from because google doesn't give much help.

So far, it seems that the enolmatic is £240, the tandem filter housing is £136 and the cartridges are about £60.

But I was wondering if the filter housing actually comes with a cartridge or not ?

Or can a different filter (cheaper ???) be connected to the enolmatic ???

I don't mind spending the money but obviously I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, but still be able to bottle/filter/de-gas etc etc.

So can anyone offer guidance/pointers/pricing/links etc that I can look into ????

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Karl has one of these, i'm sure he will tell you about it when he wakes up (heavy night last night).
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

It will be hard going to get the whole lot for less than £400, the housing does not come with a filter you will need to get two, one 0.5 micron for whites and 1 micron for reds.
      However the filters can be bought cheaper from Brouwlands about 45 euros.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
        It will be hard going to get the whole lot for less than £400, the housing does not come with a filter you will need to get two, one 0.5 micron for whites and 1 micron for reds.
        However the filters can be bought cheaper from Brouwlands about 45 euros.
        Cheers Karl.

Now does that mean that mead qualifies as white ? or "something else" ?

Because I don't make "white" wines other than mead (unless it's classed as "something else" of course), all the fruit wines I make are red/rose.

I'd guess that a 1 micron filter should do the trick for most of the stuff I do.......though I also notice some of the accessories that would be excellent for DJ to DJ filtration.

I can always look into different gauge filters later if need be - plus it'd still be cheaper to get them via Brouwland - even with the "high" € at the moment.

regards

JtFB

p.s. Oh and I also notice that the filters can be cleaned - presumably re-used. Is that correct ?? If so, how many times ?
        Last edited by fatbloke; 03-08-2008, 02:32 PM.
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yes John, you will probably be fine with the one micron filter for all, you will find double holed bungs which are ideal for d/j to d/j racking, inline filtering and de-gassing. It's an expensive toy, but I wouldn't be without it.
          As you state there is not much info about on this, i think mine came from a hbs in Preston and the filter etc from Wales. You will also need a razor socket as they come with a two pin plug.
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Yes John, you will probably be fine with the one micron filter for all, you will find double holed bungs which are ideal for d/j to d/j racking, inline filtering and de-gassing. It's an expensive toy, but I wouldn't be without it.
            As you state there is not much info about on this, i think mine came from a hbs in Preston and the filter etc from Wales. You will also need a razor socket as they come with a two pin plug.
            Brilliant, cheers Karl. The local HBS as one in stock but I didn't ask how much he wanted for it... so I'll try and see next weekend. I don't know if he keeps the filter housing as well or whether it'll have to come from Cardiff.

Either way, I can be patient as I seem to recall that Brouwland are closed for mail order at the moment - I'll have to go and check their site again......

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I "might" be visiting Brouwland in ~August, will let you know if I am.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

There's treasure in them Home Brew Shops as well !

It would seem, that I have had a bit of a result. The main machine, a filter housing and 1 micron filter element, for £200.

New, boxed, with full instructions (such as they are!).

All I've got to do now is to get 1 or 2 different gauged filter elements and either the "DJ to DJ" adapter/kit or see if I can make a 2 hole bung/cork work.

Excellent.

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Well done Jon!

Private sale or from a shop?

I'm still on the look out for a filter housing and filters for mine.

Comment

I Soooooooooo want one of these

what parts do you need to degass/filter/bottle?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                      Well done Jon!

Private sale or from a shop?

I'm still on the look out for a filter housing and filters for mine.
                      Shop. Though I do suspect that it was a case of getting rid of "old stock" i.e. both boxes are faded where they'd been in a window display - he did say that when it was bought in, the wholesale price had been about £250 for the lot.

Plus that when it was first out, he did sell quite a few of the bottlers but not so many filters/housings as people were disappointed/disenchanted with the filter elements being sold separately from the housings. It was the last one in stock so I suppose I really did get a bargain.
                      Originally posted by kerosine View Post
                      I Soooooooooo want one of these

what parts do you need to degass/filter/bottle?
                      I've posted a question for comfirmation about de-gassing because Bob's post/pictures show a 5 gallon glass DJ/carbouy cap etc set up. I'm thinking that I should be able to get away with either a straight, single holed cork/bung (with great care as I wouldn't want one imploding on me) or a 2 holed bung but restricting the second hole with a fine tube of some sort.

For DJ to DJ moving/racking and for filtering, my question also relates to the "DJ to DJ" accessory adapter (which is about €44 at Brouwland) or making use of 2 holed corks/bungs - when I can locate a seller of them.

Filtering? well it seems that you can either run it (the filter) connected to the bottler, so the wine is filtered while it's being bottled, or if you want, you can use more than one filter in series, presumably with different gauge filter elements i.e. my housing has come with a 1 micron filter element which is listed as "fine" filtering, the 0.5 micron filter is listed as "ultra fine" and the 0.25 filter is listed as being for "white wine/distilled spirits" but I've also seen it referred to as "sterile" as it's fine enough to remove any yeast particles as well - which would be OK if you don't intend natural carbonation (as I understand it).

I think that for most "general" filtering the 1 micron element should do the job. Though I'm expecting to have to spend a bit more on finer filters as it's mostly mead that I make.

Hopefully that makes sense!

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

John, make your own double holed bung...Put a standard rubber bung in the freezer and drill it yourself whilst still frozen.

Russ, the enolmatic itself will bottle, you need to transfer the vacuum pipe to a d/j carbouy for de-gassing, as for filtering you will need a filter and tandem housing.
                        National Wine Judge
                        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

John, make your own double holed bung...Put a standard rubber bung in the freezer and drill it yourself whilst still frozen.
                          -----%<-----
                          Cheers Karl, it looks like a quick visit to the HBS is in order then (to get some bungs too experiment on)

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                          X