carboy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carboy ?

any one help me got a free carboy hard plastic off a water dispencer type used in offices is this ok for my wine ? only had water in it

If it is PET it should be fine for primary fermentation, but I wouldn't use it for ageing.

Look on the base of the bottle, it will tell you what it is made of.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
      any one help me got a free carboy hard plastic off a water dispencer type used in offices is this ok for my wine ? only had water in it
      Further to Bob's comment, water cooler plastic bottles are invariably made from Poly Carbonate - it's pretty much "industry standard".

They can retain odour and are very slightly air permeable so as Bob pointed out - they're fine for fermenting but you'd want to get the wine into glass for ageing.

If you search the forums, I think it was Rich, who posted some pictures of how it's easiest to modify the caps (the blue snap on type that have a tear off section for when the bottles are refilled), by drilling them to take a normal size bored DJ rubber stopper or cork.

If it has a different cap, then you have to track down rubber "carbouy caps". Some of the online HBS stock them.

I have both (bottles and caps) and ferment without any problems in them.

regards

JtFB
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

pet???

pet?????

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
          pet?????
          Yeah, it's this stuff

regards

JtFB

p.s. Oh and if the water bottle you have is a "normal" one, then it's probably made from poly carbonate (see my earlier comment)
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Just to follow up it really on ageing. I am testing 26L HDPE containers for red wine aging. So far the results are very good.

My research in brief came up with the following.
            Classically Red is kept barrels - these breathe (like a teabag is some cases) HDPE is slighty gas permeable (and food safe). Glass does not breathe at all. Therefore if you want to age your wine you need it to breathe a bit. After all, don't we bottle it to stop just that!
            The australia & NZ there is a move by the big boys to HDPE bulk storage http://www.flextank.com.au/Technical.htm

PET would (in my opinion) be OK for storage excepting colour degradation issue with reds, PET being clear. Some HBS stock carboys in PET at ASTRNOMICAL prices.

I have a cheap supply of 26L white HDPE containers with a fuel gauge on the side, if they help anyone else is feeling brave!

Brian
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
            X