Any idea what a Aerometro Cartier is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any idea what a Aerometro Cartier is?

It sort of looks like a hydrometer but much (shorter). The numbers at the base start at 10, 15, 20 up to 40. (the reverse of how the numbers are on a hydrometer). I was cleaning out a box of my parents belongings, they used to make scratch wine, I am assuming they used this. Would like to put it to use, however not sure how. If this is not used for wine making any idea what it is used for?

JC

...?......

My guess is it is some type of French hydrometer, but I will search the net and try to come up with something.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

...hhmmm......

Uh...after reviewing several websites that I could not read, now I think it might be a thermometer of sorts from maybe Spain or South America.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Ok...

Upon further review, I am back to thinking it is a hydrometer of some kind.

I really have no idea. Sorry.

REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

just googled a search - found a web page then translated it - it appears to be a device for measuring alcoholic content - so hippie is correct
          Geordie : refers to a person originating from Tyneside and the former coal mining areas of northern County Durham or the dialect spoken by such people. There are a number of rival theories to explain how the term came about, though all accept that it derives from a familiar diminutive form of the name "George".

Comment

Originally posted by rincewind
            just googled a search - found a web page then translated it - it appears to be a device for measuring alcoholic content - so hippie is correct
            Any idea on how to use this thing? I googled it too but like you say it came up in espanol yo creo (spanish I think) and my spanish is very limited. Just for the heck of it I did put it into my primary wine and it sat up so high in the wine the numbers on the device didn't show. The numbers where in the air.

JC

Comment

Take a look Here scroll down the page and look at the one on the far right, is this what you have ??

Comment

No that is not my inherited tool. Unfortunately I don't own either a digital camera or scanner to post a picture. The name of this tool appears both on the device and on the plastic tubing that it came in. .....I guess it's use still remains a mystery....
                J C

Comment

This may seem silly but as you live in Canada and the name might be French, could you perhaps find a supplier in the Quebec area and see if they know what it is?
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by jcnoren
                    Any idea on how to use this thing? I googled it too but like you say it came up in espanol yo creo (spanish I think) and my spanish is very limited. Just for the heck of it I did put it into my primary wine and it sat up so high in the wine the numbers on the device didn't show. The numbers where in the air.

JC
                    just googled it again, it's in portugeuse, from what i can see cartier is just a manufacturer - google the search again and translate the page (there's an option to do so) - it doesn't exactly tell you how to use it but it shows that each unit represents a percentage of alcohol, well that's my interpretation.

Rince.
                    Geordie : refers to a person originating from Tyneside and the former coal mining areas of northern County Durham or the dialect spoken by such people. There are a number of rival theories to explain how the term came about, though all accept that it derives from a familiar diminutive form of the name "George".

Comment

I finally got myself a digital camera. Took a picture of the areometro and my vacuum tool together. Now to see if I can put the picture here ...hmm I selected attachment.

My parents made their wines from scratch and put it into large 54litre demi johns. If a batch of wine was not to their liking they (tinkered with it) converting it into shine. I believe they used the areometro to check on the alcohol content of their new finished product. The more the areometer sank the higher the reading of alcohol.

I make beer and wine, so this tool will sit and be passed onto the next generation.

JC

Comment

no picture.. in the one above. ok it is in this one...

JC
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by jcnoren; 19-03-2006, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X