Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making wine in bulk

hi everyone.
    could anyone please give me some advise on making some bulk wine useing 5 gallon beer kegs i have.

Originally posted by pauly246 View Post
    hi everyone.
    could anyone please give me some advise on making some bulk wine useing 5 gallon beer kegs i have.

Beer kegs ?

Wood ? Aluminium? Stainless?

Do "they" have a hole that will take a bung (rubber, cork, etc) ?

Making wine in them, if they're metal, shouldn't be any different from using glass etc

Except that you might come across a bit of a problem when racking i.e. you wouldn't know how far the end of the syphon pipe is above the lees etc.

Oh and if they're "ally", then you might have to watch what you're sanitising/sterilising with as some of the sodium based cleaning agents don't play well with ally!

Have you got any particular ingredients in mind ?

etc etc!

regards

JtFB

p.s. Oh and 5 gallons isn't really "bulk" - it seems that the majority of people in the UK stick to batches between 1 and 5 gallons. Now if it was 500 gallons then you might face some different issues!
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

In North America, most batches are 5 Imperial gallons.

Steve
      the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
      "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by pauly246 View Post
        hi everyone.

Hi Pauly and welcome to the forum...

could you give us a bit more detail on the type of keg you mean?

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

hi bob. i've got two 5 gallon beer kegs with gas injection built into the cap but they also have a float inside so you always take from the top of the barrel when pouring a beer. i thought this might be good for making wine as you could rack from one barrel to another with ease and bottle too.

Comment

beer barrels are not ideal, but can be used.....
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

the float stops about 2 inches from the bottom of the barrel. i was thinking of making some red wine from supermarket juice ie red wine number 2. plus an airlock can be fitted to the cap on top of the barrel.

Comment

You could certainly use them as primary vessels, but they would be no good for ageing
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

i'am new to all this wine making stuff so are you saying for the fermentation stage i can use the barrel but not for storing. i was thinking of transfering to the spare barrel to clear then bottle it. would this be ok.
                  many thanks for all your help too

Comment

Working...
                  X