Question about Demijohns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Demijohns

Hi all, I was reading on homewinemaking forum that the reason so many HBS online don't have any DJ left is that they have finished making them for this year?? Who makes them? And do they only make a certain amount yearly??

And does anyone know when the HBS will have them back in?

Thanks

Originally posted by Tuco View Post
    Hi all, I was reading on homewinemaking forum that the reason so many HBS online don't have any DJ left is that they have finished making them for this year?? Who makes them? And do they only make a certain amount yearly??

And does anyone know when the HBS will have them back in?

Thanks
    Sounds like complete bollix to me Tuco.

They might make them in batches, but I'd guess that any manufacturer worth it's salt would still retain a certain level of stock....

After all, it's only a case of changing the moulds on a production line.

As to who actually makes them ? You'd have to start ringing round the various glassware manufacturers.... They may even just be imported ready made, though I can't see that as glassware isn't usually cost effective to import like that....it's too bulky, reducing the cost effectiveness of the shipping.

regards

JtFB
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
      Sounds like complete bollix to me Tuco.

They might make them in batches, but I'd guess that any manufacturer worth it's salt would still retain a certain level of stock....

After all, it's only a case of changing the moulds on a production line.

As to who actually makes them ? You'd have to start ringing round the various glassware manufacturers.... They may even just be imported ready made, though I can't see that as glassware isn't usually cost effective to import like that....it's too bulky, reducing the cost effectiveness of the shipping.

regards

JtFB

Thanks JtFB

the exact quote was "New standard glass jars are not being produced until the latter part of this year and the wholesalers do not have any more in stock. There is the more expensive Darma jars available (RRP £6.95) or plastic demijohns, but the standard glass jars will not be seen again in shops for some time"

Comment

I too read there is only one UK manufacturer ?

Going round second hand shops is flogging a dead horse they say they have not had any for years!

Wilkinsons always seem to have some (£5) but they are not a patch quality wise on the old ones .

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post

Going round second hand shops is flogging a dead horse they say they have not had any for years!

Wilkinsons always seem to have some (£5) but they are not a patch quality wise on the old ones .
          Dunno about how many actual makers there are, but lot's of people on the forums do well out of registering with the local freecycle group in their area.

My local HBS keeps them but yes, new they're about a fiver a pop!

Oh, and of course, there's ebay. There's often lots there, but invariably you have to collect them yourself as it's not worth the cost of shipping them (fragile, bulky etc)

regards

JtFB
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Tuco View Post
            Thanks JtFB

the exact quote was "New standard glass jars are not being produced until the latter part of this year and the wholesalers do not have any more in stock. There is the more expensive Darma jars available (RRP £6.95) or plastic demijohns, but the standard glass jars will not be seen again in shops for some time"
            Hum ? that just suggests that if there is only the 1 maker in the UK, it's a price/business thing i.e. if someone has commissioned a large number of X type bottles and jars, they're more likely to fill that contract than just stop the line to make a batch or two of DJ's, just to keep a relatively small market happy (think about it if they happen to be making bottles/jars for one of the big brewery manufacturers or one of the big supermarket chains etc, then it sort of makes sense).

I can't find any sort of link/reference to "Darma jars" anyway so I'm not sure what they are......

I mean, there could be a hundred and one reasons why a maker doesn't have much in the way of DJ's in stock at any given moment. We're a small group, so don't really attract any preferences. Not what you'd call the "buying power" of Tesco's.

Of course, I could have missed something completely, and be talking complete bollix myself

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post

Plonky.... not sure if your east or west coast...
              But the HBS on Dumbarton Rd, Glasgow has some... I think they are about a fiver each
              They even have second hand ones sometimes.. which are cheaper.. not sure how much though.
              Last time I went in, about a week ago, they had a couple brown ones.
              Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Working...
              X