champagne stillages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• champagne stillages

i want to make some champagne soon and will require a rack to do the rumage on does anyone one how wide the holes are to be and at what angle they are drilled at and how the best way is to do it, or does anyone have one for sale or hire for a few months
    Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

I keep it simple and low-tech.

I find a spare 5 gal fermenter, and place a Tesco cardboard 6-bottle wine carrier in the bottom.

I place 6 bottles upside-down in the carrier - they rest against the side of the fermenter, so they are not exactly vertical, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Once the wine starts to clear, lift each bottle and inch or two, twisting sharply through 90 degrees, then drop it.

It works for me, and the fermenter (with loosely-fitted lid) should contain the blast if a bottle lets go
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

thanks for the tip
      Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

sorry to hear that ohbeary , any chance of letting me know what was your problems so i dont have them

Comment

Follow the method here

The following tuition for sparkling wine is based on my own experience, others may do things in a different manner but it works for me. We are going to cover the process from making the wine to bottle priming to riddling to freezing and disgorging. The most important thing to remember when making any form of sparkling wine is

you wont go far wrong

regards
          bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Follow the method here

The following tuition for sparkling wine is based on my own experience, others may do things in a different manner but it works for me. We are going to cover the process from making the wine to bottle priming to riddling to freezing and disgorging. The most important thing to remember when making any form of sparkling wine is

you wont go far wrong

regards
            bob
            Agreed.

It isn't the 'correct' method, but it does work. My first batch using this method was great. The second wasn't - because I thought I new better and I changed a couple of things . I'm about to process another batch tomorrow, and I'll be sticking to the method (although I'll be using an ice/salt mix to freeze the bottle necks).
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Working...
            X