Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers mate
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Splendid job, have you considered freezing your fruit before pressing ? Bob and I conglomerate our apple/pear pickings each year and press with Bob's water controlled bladder press, the results are pure apple & pear juice, which makes for perfect fermenting juice, no pulp, just juice. The resulting wines are usually clean, fresh & crisp.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

i have never heard of this duffbeer, i was old school either a big post of wood and a bucket or a blade on the end of the electric drill, this is what i miss about living away from south warwickshire when you move out of an area you lose not only good friends but there tools as well, where we used to live the gentleman i used to know had a stone apple crusher and a press that had a 30 ton hydralic jack sat on it, now all i have is a fence post and a grumpy son, i must amit after watching the 7 videos on extraction i was looking to do other hard fruit prossessing ie a juicer, it seems for the money and time and little effort easier than crushing and pressing also is the juice a lot clearer,
        when i do apples or pears we normaly do 5 gollon batches but because of the large sediment throw we use 1x5gallon barrel and a demi john and after the first rack put them together

i had not realised that you can use cider apples for wine i was always taught to use eater ,cookers and crabs

last thing with juicers some of the recipes i have use quite large amounts of apples if i were to juice this large amount would i not end up with a dj full of apple juice and so cider!!!

reasons why i dont do cider,
        lived in southwarwickshire for 18 years grew up on the stuff most people i knew in the old days had at least 1 masive barrel in the shed full of it, one farmer i used to know used to make 12 barrels each year and then stores it for another ten, it came as clear and beutiful to what we called rough cider which had every thing including an apple floating in the glass and as you drank it the sediment would start to fall out to the bottom of the glass, and lastly i have a massive hangover from the stuff it truely blows my head apart
        Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

Well, I have just put 28lb of apples through my new juicer.

I have waited about 2 hours for the juice to separate as per Colin Tweed's tutorial. So far, it has slightly separated into three layers - the foamy layer on top, a slightly clearer (but still pretty opaque) layer in the middle, and a layer at the bottom. Presumably the layer I want is the middle one.

I just hope it separates further before it oxidises
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Zeb (I think) found a steam juicer for around €45 as john says ..from the westfalia website

ill look for a link in a bit

and you can find the breville cenrifugal juicers on ebay (the ones that take a whole apple) for around €30

so you could buy both!

If you can only buy one....buy the steam juicer
            Quick question on Breville juicers...do they specifically state they are centrifugal? I always assumed they must have some sort of blade in them and were essentially live blenders? And if so you needed to watch from bitterness from stones?

Anyway...could someone have a look at this link and let me know if this would be any good for brambles and elderberries?

Comment

OK

Martina was shopping today and stumbled upon a steam juicer in the supermarket, so she bought it......45 euros (as near as damn it £45)

We both have one, but I keep looking for them when I am there....so she pounced on it, its brand new in the box, measures 26 cm diameter and is made of stainless steel.

anyone want to buy it?

we will get it here at some point this year (depends on driving and not flying) or you are welcome to pay for shipping.

they are a great piece of kit

PM Martina for details

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I've a 3lb Lakeland + a 15lb Vigo pasteuriser top one.

Westfalia (Newton Abbot, Devon) sell these for £44.99:

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/hous...er_9_litre.htm

The dia is stated as 260mm, and the diameter of the Lakeland 3lb capacity steam juicer is 230mm, so probably worth clicking on the "Ask a question" box on the above web page.

Westfalia are also worth checking out for the prices of WECK canners/boilers and steam juice extractor tops.

OH & I had a discussion a few days ago regarding the merits of steam juice extractors (MINE) v. juicers (I BOUGHT IT FOR HER), and came to the conclusion that for large quantities of fruit it was far easier to steam 15lbs for approx 30 mins rather than put it all through a juicer.
                My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Working...
                X