Scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale

Anyone have an idea where to find a cheap scale? I need to determine how much sugar to add to the Mead and do not know what to use. Any suggestions

hmmmm

I am actually trying to find a method of weighing sugar. I don’t believe that a Triple beam scale is the cheapest option so I was wondering what everyone uses to weigh their ingredients. I ran into this problem when I figured out that I need to add 2.135 pounds to my mead.

Comment

Any cheap kitchen scales will do. If the dish isnt big enough, just set your own bowl on top, take the pointer back to zero and aweigh* you go.

* sorry about that!
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Sugar is actually quite easy to measure. 2 cups to the pound is near enough.

Get your SG close, then add a bit at a time until you are at the point you wish.

You can also go to your local "head shop" and get an electronic scale that will go to 500 grammes (just over a pound) in .1 gm increments. Cost on this should be quite reasonable.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by Brewster
          Anyone have an idea where to find a cheap scale? I need to determine how much sugar to add to the Mead and do not know what to use. Any suggestions
          I purchased a USPS United States Post office scale, goes to 25 lbs, and has where you can weigh a pan or dish, and and press button and it subtracts that weight from the amount you put in it for $30 US. I would be lost without it. Digital, battery or plug in. Got it from my local Post Office.
          Best money I ever spent on this hobby, also use for selling on ebay and figuring shipping costs.
          Tom
          "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Come On Pat you Know the answer.

2 pounds of finly granulated sugar is 4 cups of sugar
            2 cups will give you a SG of 1.045, and 4 cups Finly granulated sugar will give you a SG of 1.090

Here is a conversion chart edited in for things like sulfites, calcium carbonate and others

In his wine blog is that Info I found about measuring sugar. it's right above the selection of things on the bottom of the page
            Last edited by jlsherman55; 23-05-2006, 01:06 PM.
            http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

Originally posted by jlsherman55
              Come On Pat you Know the answer.

2 pounds of finly granulated sugar is 4 cups of sugar
              Isn't that what I said? 2 cups to the pound.

2 cups will give you a SG of 1.045, and 4 cups Finly granulated sugar will give you a SG of 1.090

Only if you mix it to 1 US gallon of water.

Here is a conversion chart edited in for things like sulfites, calcium carbonate and others

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/measures.asp

In his wine blog is that Info I found about measuring sugar. it's right above the selection of things on the bottom of the page
              Pat

Comment

I must of read it Incorrect, but you didn't add what A SG he would get.

NOT That he asked ----------------- It could Of helped Him Out though.

I thought I would make this post Somwhat Useful

"two level cups plus 3/4 teaspoon of regular granulated refined sugar to measure one pound volumetricall "

Comment

so.... am I the only person who just guesses?
                  Always do in cooking.. dont measure, just pour it in

Comment

Originally posted by eggonline
                    so.... am I the only person who just guesses?
                    Always do in cooking.. dont measure, just pour it in
                    I do the same.
                    One thing though

In My Opoin I have made some good food, but Never realy Make the same thing twice.

So I have a Plan get 20 bowls just In case pure this fruit In One bowl Pore this fruit or Spice In the next And So On.

The reason for this is To measure when Finished from each bowl

If I stop, and measure I most Likly will lose my groove, --- Mostly I would
                    but Mostly For me It's hard to sence things Measuring

Comment

egg,
                      You aren't alone. I'm a "dump" cook and brewer too. People hate it when they ask for a recipe for something and I tell them there isn't one.
                      what's brewing; 6 gal. apple/raspberry in secondary 10 gal crabapple in secondary 9 gal. wild grape in secondary 16 gal. plum in secondary 5 gal. high bush cranberry/raspberry in secondary. 6 gal. staghorn sumac in secondary 3 gal. dried fruit in secondary

Comment

Working...
                      X