Carbuoy Handles...a cautionary tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbuoy Handles...a cautionary tale

I was a tad leery about the handles that fix to the neck of the carbuoy, but have used them for a while now (about 4 years) and never had a problem, so had become comfortable with them

Today Martina lifted a carbuoy by the handle and the neck of the carbuoy broke off, spreading glass (and 5 gallons of just filtered wine) all over her kitchen!

she escaped with minor cuts and abrasions but it could have been so much worse!

So I am removing the handles from all of my 5 gallon carbuoys

the pic shows what is left of 5 gals of what was extremely nice wine and a 5 gal carbuoy
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Alright, Tobi's okay... and so am I.

But please, please please..... do not use carboy handles anymore. When I lift carboys with the handles, I always lift a bit and then hold the bottom right when I lift it up. Today, when I did that, I saw the neck cracking, and I (instinctly) drew my bottom hand away. The carboy shattered, the wine was EVERYWHERE (even outside of my apartment in the halloway), and I got some deep cuts in my hands.

That being said, I'm okay. The one cut hasn't stopped bleeding (yet), but I can move everything and I feel I just hit a (small) artery. No ligaments or anything....

So... My call to all.... Please ban all carboy handles in your winemaking...

I've always been leery about having 60 pounds (~30 kilos) weighted on the neck of a carboy.... Tonight I know why.

It took me 2 hours to get everything cleaned up, and all of the towels I own (about 9) are currently being washed. Not good for a post-call evening/night.

Please, please, please.... Get rid of your carboy handles.
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

Wow! I'm glad everyone is alright (Tobi too). Broken carboys have been known to cause some serious injuries. I've known people who have needed stitches to close up gashes caused by flying glass shards.
      Steve

Comment

Dinesh Nair (RJ Spagnols) has some horrific scarring caused by a broken carbuoy episode, he was off work for around a year he told me....and had lots of surgery, and it still isn't right. They said he was lucky not to lose function in his arm.

He dropped a carbuoy while washing it, and tried to (natural reaction) catch it, and it broke, ripping his arm to shreds.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          Dinesh Nair (RJ Spagnols) has some horrific scarring caused by a broken carbuoy episode, he was off work for around a year he told me....and had lots of surgery, and it still isn't right. They said he was lucky not to lose function in his arm.

He dropped a carbuoy while washing it, and tried to (natural reaction) catch it, and it broke, ripping his arm to shreds.
          Nice - NOT!

Good that your, erm, adventure, turned out reasonably well and Martina only got a little cut. Could have been quite nasty!

As you say Bob, a salutory lesson. Glassware is good kit, but not really to be trusted as you never know when it might "go".....
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Glad to hear you are OK (ish) Martina.

I own only one carboy handle. I usually use it to lift empties, but I confess I did once lift a full one. I won't be doing that again.

I normally try to avoid moving them altogether, but when I have to, I normally end up with one arm underneath and one wrapped around it. It spreads the load but I suppose this is risky because I'll end up with EVERYTHING lacerated if it decides to break

This is probably the clincher in the carboy vs Better Bottle debate.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

was thinking of splashing out on glass, but now having second thoughts. will see if this years works in better bottles.

glad it was only minor injuries
              http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
              http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Pleased everyone is OK.

I am with you Pete "I normally try to avoid moving them altogether". After I had one go I bought a £10 caravan pump so that I could siphon uphill, to avoid lifting them full. Now I only lift to wash.

An old Italian friend, told me how to 'TEST' them. Form your hands into a seal around the top of the jar and blow as hard as to can through them, as if you were inflating a balloon. Let go quickly and you should hear a 'ping' or ring sound. Any this else indicates a problem. I have one that has failed this test, but is still whole - now purely ornamental!

He also said that they must always be in the plastic case, and that it must not have holes in the bottom. The casing acts as a bund, and will catch everything in the event of breakage.

Having said all that I still use and prefer them to anything else.

Brian
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                X