Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat removal from makeshift cellar

Hi,

I don't have a cellar and I don't have a garage. However a couple of years ago I removed some floorboards in the understairs cupboard, formed a hatch and used it to store my finished wine. Whilst this should be better than say under the stairs it isn't ideal as the temperature seems to fluctuate between 11 celsius in the depths of winter to as much as 20 at the height of summer.
    The change of temperature is slow though and the extremes tend not to last very long.
    The floor within the understairs cupboard is covered with thick linoleum and under the floorboards there are air bricks from the outside (south facing) about 4.5 metres away from the storage area of the wine. The depth of the cellar is about 45cm i.e. not deep.
    I have a sort of idea to install some copper piping to the underside of the trap door and vent that pipe into the understairs cupoboard in order to remove some of the heat from the cellar area below. However I know little knowledge of these things and wonder whether that would help or is simply barking?
    Anyone got a view?
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

I don't think the varience is tooooo bad. and more importanlty it is sloooooow.

You can't drop up the air bricks, so by creating a vent you will increase the airflow (from outside) that in turn may result in increases of variantion. Just a thought!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I'm sure koomber will cut a fridge in half for you
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
        I'm sure koomber will cut a fridge in half for you
        Err. That indeed is on the cards for the next week or two.. I have the fridge ready.

Comment

LMAO. ... and welded to that half will be a full dispense system !
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Pete the Instructor

Comment

OK come on Koomber lets see what you got.
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

What sort of area are we talking , 45cm deep, but how wide/long etc. How well insulated is it? maybe just insulting it really well would slow down any temperature swing. Maybe some thick polystyrene sheets, sealed up to prevent drafts. The volume of liquid and glass should hold the temp well then.

I've been toying with the idea of peltier coolers, but haven't looked too far into it yet.

Where you after a 'free' fix or an ongoing cost type fix? (inslation vs runing a cooler)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                  .... maybe just insulting it really well ....
                  I bet you talk to plants, too
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

Am I right in thinking this is the space between the bearers under the floor?

Comment

Hmmmm.

Inuslation would be my first suggestion, but don't block up the air vents. You would also need to condensation being a possiblity so depending on the conditions in the cellar this will need to be addressed.

Cooling is more difficult than heating because you need to find somewhere to put the excess heat. Counter to the prevailing opinion, I wouldn't suggest cutting a fridge up though.

What is the bottom of you cellar? Is it the ground? If it is, you might (might) be able to get a decent cooling effect by insulating the room well and circulating air around the room.
                      I would take some temperature readings and compare the temperature in the cellar relative to the outside air temp with a fan and without a fan and see how that goes.
                      Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                      Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                      -Police Squad

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                        What sort of area are we talking , 45cm deep, but how wide/long etc. How well insulated is it? maybe just insulting it really well would slow down any temperature swing.

Where you after a 'free' fix or an ongoing cost type fix? (inslation vs runing a cooler)
                        The 'area under wine' is about 1.5 metres squared. The back and side walls are brick walls and the floor is concrete which is on top of the ground. It is roughly in the centre of the house. The house was built in the 1920's (not sure that is relevant though).

I was just hoping to cut the variance down a little, not planning on having aa permanent cooler though I guess this could be an option if anyone had a suggestion. Tonight I will measure the top and the bottom of the 'cellar' temperatures and see what diffference there is.

Thanks guys
                        Simon

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                          Tonight I will measure the top and the bottom of the 'cellar' temperatures and see what diffference there is
                          Simon,

If it only varies between 11 and 20 seasonally, will you see a daily difference?

Comment

Currently 17 degrees at ground level and 18 degrees celsius at Ground + 40cm. Ground level has been constant at 17 for about 5 weeks now. Will probably peak in August/September.
                            Real question for me is, is this a suitable place for long term wine storage or am I going to be forced to buy a new house with vineyard and chais. (To be honest I know the answer just not the timeframe).
                            Simon

Comment

Can you dig a cellar and then wander around the garden like someone starring in ' The Great Escape'

Comment

Working...
                              X