No announcement yet.

PET vs. water bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food grade plastic containers for brining: Which are ones are safe and which ones are not? And can you use a bucket from the home center for brining?

Just some specific information for the different types of plastic and their uses. An interesting -- Cheers DAW

Comment

My tuppence worth ..............

Excluding all the environmental stuff...

I have done lots of reading since I started on this wine making "lark" last year.

It seems that theres probably very little wrong in the principle of using glass, stainless steel or polyethylene type food grade plastics.

The issue thats been brought up in my questioning, is that now that US style water coolers are popular here in the UK, could they be used i.e. the 19/20 litre (5 US gallons) bottles.

Well as far as I can find out, you'd need to check exactly what they're made of. Most of the ones in use here in the UK, are polycarbonate. Which is porous in the same way that steel is (think fuel tanks on cars etc). So they can pick up odours and flavours that can possibly taint, after the first "post water" use. I'd guess that that'd be fine if you're making the same type of wine in one.

Bulk ageing ? Dunno. I think I'd rather make sure the container was either one of the "proper" food grade plastics or glass (or wood if you can sterilise it appropriately).

I am trying some, in the ageing process and will let you know how I get on (I'd probably have to get someone independent to taste the result to see if they thing that anything detrimental has happened and for an unbiased opinion).

regards

the fatbloke.
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        Excluding all the environmental stuff...

I have done lots of reading since I started on this wine making "lark" last year.

It seems that theres probably very little wrong in the principle of using glass, stainless steel or polyethylene type food grade plastics.

The issue thats been brought up in my questioning, is that now that US style water coolers are popular here in the UK, could they be used i.e. the 19/20 litre (5 US gallons) bottles.

Well as far as I can find out, you'd need to check exactly what they're made of. Most of the ones in use here in the UK, are polycarbonate. Which is porous in the same way that steel is (think fuel tanks on cars etc). So they can pick up odours and flavours that can possibly taint, after the first "post water" use. I'd guess that that'd be fine if you're making the same type of wine in one.

Bulk ageing ? Dunno. I think I'd rather make sure the container was either one of the "proper" food grade plastics or glass (or wood if you can sterilise it appropriately).

I am trying some, in the ageing process and will let you know how I get on (I'd probably have to get someone independent to taste the result to see if they thing that anything detrimental has happened and for an unbiased opinion).

regards

the fatbloke.
        I am interested in how your little experiment works out. Cheers DAW

Comment

I've been using 15 ltr ex-water coolers, they're definitly PET. I was given some 18 ltr ones the other day, they were much more rigid and the logo was PC - polycarbonate. They also carry messages like 'only refil with water, not suitable for any other liquids'. I had a quick scrumage around the net and read about various interactions with PC and different families of chemicals. It looks like water is fine and ethanol-based alcohol is ok but some acids, alkalines and cleansing products - including bleaches, may not be so good. I'm not gonna use them. I'm going to stick the the PET ones and use the PC ones as cloches or water collectors on the allotment.

Comment

Working...
          X