Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine/Fruit presses - suggestions/ideas ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine/Fruit presses - suggestions/ideas ?

Seen a couple in the online HBS's.

I don't think I need a particularly large one i.e. 3 to 5 kilo's looks about right.

The one that I'm thinking of is made of Ali'/Stainless, it's just over £100 (the local HBS looks too expensive).

I have seen one online advertised at just below the £50 mark, made of stainless and "painted metal" (presume that thats normal steel) that will press about 1.4 kg of fruit. I don't suppose that that matters too much if I need to press about the 4lb/2kg mark of fruit per gallon of wine - I intend to "crush" the fruit with a food processor and then put the pulp into a pressing/straining bag anyway.

Is there anything wrong with this idea and any particular burning reason why I might need the larger and dearer Ali/Stainless model over the smaller, cheaper model ?

regards

the Fatbloke.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Last year, for my attempt at apple wine (the CJJ Berry recipe that is very high in fruit @ about 10 to 12 lb per gallon) I just followed the instructions and liquidised the fruit, then got a pressing bag and wrung it out by hand.

Vvv messy and labour intensive. Hence looking into a press.

We would have additional work for it though, as my partner Clare is a jam maker. You have no idea how much seed is in raspberry (well you are probably very well aware of it, but as a figure of speech ...........). So we would be able to pulp/juice and then press so we can make the jam/jelly directly rather than making it then trying to strain it later.

Not to mention having a go at making cheese. It should be ideal for pressing the curd to remove the last of the whey.

I'm just trying to work out whether theres any merit/difference between a larger Ali/Stainless model or the smaller Stainless/"Painted Metal" one (I don't think I'd bother with a more traditional steel/wooden one - I can fully understand the hassles of sanitising wood!)

regards

fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Did you find a press in the end? I'm looking to get / borrow one for this autumn to make some cider...

cheers

Kieron.
      Visit my Gold Panning Blog

Comment

Originally posted by kmoorman View Post
        Did you find a press in the end? I'm looking to get / borrow one for this autumn to make some cider...

cheers

Kieron.
        Only a very small one at the moment i.e. about 1.5 litre content - OK for our small kitchen.

I'm still on the lookout - ideally for a small to medium sized VIGO one - I'm not fussed about a mill as I'm thinking that I'll just use the liquidiser and food processor to crush/mill.

We probably won't get any apples from the tree's we've put in for a year or two (even though they're in flower at the moment), but I spotted a place in Wales that was advertising quantities of cider apples, plus the bloke I got the 1/2 gallon demi-johns said that he'd sell me a bag or two of cider apples (he said that it was about 2.6 "crane bags" to the tonne which'd be about £160. I was looking to try a bag full as I can move/handle that amount).

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Can you use a kitchen juicer to make apple juice for cider, or do you need to pulp and then press to make it work?

Kieron.
          Visit my Gold Panning Blog

Comment

It's laborious, but it does work. Wouldn't like to do more than a gallon at a time though.
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Here in the states, many places that sell cider/juice apples will usually crush them for you upon request.

Do the orchards in the UK do the same?
              Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                Here in the states, many places that sell cider/juice apples will usually crush them for you upon request.

Do the orchards in the UK do the same?
                To be honest I don't know. Lots of the orchards in my neck of the woods are just like farms, but with apple trees.

There is one place that I know of that is a big(ish) fruit farm that also has a shop etc as well, but as I only ever drive past it for work, I don't think they'd be very pleased, if I turned into their driveway with 55ft of tractor and trailer (some people can be so picky about what their customers driver ). Might be worth the effort to go for a drive and ask though!

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Whereabouts did you find out about the person selling apples? I'm supposed to be buying 300kg later this year but the guy has gone quiet on me, could do with a backup supply if it falls through.

Comment

Originally posted by danpug View Post
                    Whereabouts did you find out about the person selling apples? I'm supposed to be buying 300kg later this year but the guy has gone quiet on me, could do with a backup supply if it falls through.
                    I'm on a bit of a promise from the bloke who I got the half gallon demi johns from, but he doesn't normally sell apples as he's a commercial cider maker himself. He said I could have a couple of boxes (there's 2 and a half boxes to the tonne - he quoted about £160 per tonne).

The places I'm gonna try are mainly commercial orchards in the West Kent area, plus I just googled for apples and there was a few promising links that came up.

Dunno if that's any help?

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Ok, i'd best have a good dig around the net then! Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X