Lychee Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leon View Post
    By Jove, I thinnk I've got it! Thank you kindly sir.

Good stuff

Originally posted by Leon View Post
    Although I do think I was looking in the wrong place, I was by the tinned fruit.
    Seems like a reasonable place to begin your quest for tinned fruit...
    Steven

Devon

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Properly made me laugh out loud

top banana

Bob, I have to say that the idea of you 'properly laughing out loud' made me properly laugh out loud. Memories of grapefest.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Well 1.085 has got down to 0.994, though as it went into the bottle the sample that spilled into my glass had a tad of sweetness of which I'm not too fanatical. But it looks as pretty as can be... how long do you leave this one before you consider it ready? lychee.jpg
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

• It's perfectly drinkable a month after bottling.

I prefer my lychee young, although I have tried one of Bob's which was excellent after a couple of years.
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Wow! Thank you Pete, Happy New Year!
            Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.

Comment

• My first attempt at this lychee recipe tasted very sweet but had fermented down to .996. A bottle was drunk at Grapefest and Bob suggested that the acid was out of balance. He put a few grains of acid in a glass and swirled it around for a minute or so and the transformation to the taste was impressive. I didn't check the acid level at any time, just followed the recipe. It is possible that you have a similar result.

Rob

Comment

• Hmmm, I have my little titration kit that I've so far only used for vinegar strength, about time I started reading about acid on here. I've been foxed by dry/sweet recently in a chum's home grape wine, where everyone labels it 'dry' and I'm thinking it's 'sweet' ... I think this is an acid issue. Good, now there's plenty for me to read up about and by the time I'm due to pop a cork on the lychee I'll have it all under control. Many thanks.

Comment

• Made my last batch of Lychee with a white labs WLP727 yeast. Seems very good so far, fermented really well and is now sitting in the secondary. Before I rack it again and dispose of the yeast, does anyone want to try some?

I can sanitize a white labs vial or two and put some yeast slurry in, if someone wants to make a starter from it and try. Not sure what the shelf life would be.

WLP727 Steinberg-Geisenheim Wine Yeast
                  German in origin, this yeast has high fruit/ester production. Perfect for Riesling and Gewürztraminer. Moderate fermentation characteristics and cold tolerant.
                  Alcohol Tolerance: 14%
                  Attenuation: >80%
                  Flocculation: Low
                  Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 50-90°F
                  (10-32°C)

Comment

• I'd be very interested Rich if you are offering! I have the tins waiting in my cupboard and they are next in the queue when when I get a free demi. Could you accept paypal for postage costs etc.?

Comment

• Delmontenam, PM me your addy to send it to. Within the next two weeks I'll rack it and put save some slurry.

I'd recommend making a starter, to make sure it's working and maybe have some other yeast on standby though (Incase, I don't see there being a problem.)

Comment

Well laugh no more Sir, for my lychees are a fermenting. I went with a litre of white grape juice, a litre of apple juice and a can of grape concentrate. Also I have kept one of my two tins of lychees back to add later, around the 1020 mark.

By Jove, I thinnk I've got it! Thank you kindly sir.

Oh, and to keep in the spirit of the thread, my Lychees were from Home Bargains, not sure how much though, the missus saw them after I couldn't find any, that bloody woman lives in Home bargains, Although I do think I was looking in the wrong place, I was by the tinned fruit.

Did it pan out to your satisfaction?.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mashman View Post
                          Did it pan out to your satisfaction?.
                          I am waiting for it to clear, but it smelt gorgeous when I added the finings. Having some friends over next weekend so hoping it'll be a bit of a showcase wine; that and my chilli wine. I had the same friends over when I first started my wine making, when it was cloudy and tasted of either sulphite or eggs, so I am hoping they will notice a difference. I will be making more Lychee wine though.

Comment

I am waiting for it to clear, but it smelt gorgeous when I added the finings. Having some friends over next weekend so hoping it'll be a bit of a showcase wine; that and my chilli wine. I had the same friends over when I first started my wine making, when it was cloudy and tasted of either sulphite or eggs, so I am hoping they will notice a difference. I will be making more Lychee wine though.
                            I'm sure you'll be right once the finings do their job.Chilli wine?.Is this made out of the fruit or enhanced?.And do'es it leave one blowing mud?.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mashman View Post
                              I'm sure you'll be right once the finings do their job.Chilli wine?.Is this made out of the fruit or enhanced?.And do'es it leave one blowing mud?.
                              I got the recipie from the here, from the recipie section, and its made from the fruit themselves, and believe me, it doesn't need to be enhanced. Can't wait to have it with a good Chilli con Carne.

Comment

• It has taken awhile but I finally got a second batch of this one on the go. This time I tested the acid, needed to add 50g of tartaric to get the TA 6.5g/litre in a 10 litre batch. No wonder my first batch was a little unbalanced.

Comment

Working...
                                X