King of Yeasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by koomber View Post
    The pressure is the same but the gas needs push the water out of the the way first. Depending on the shape of the airlock and how full it is, there will be slight differences in amount of water to push out.

Really this effect is going to be very small. Probably not even measureable, but I'm a very pedantic person for little details The missus hates it.
    Sorry I can't see it myself. Weight of water doesn't come into it - it is a pressure unbalance that causes the bubble.

Do we need a physicist or a chemist to help us out here?

Either way. Doesn't matter - great experiment!! Good work - really looking forward to the results. I will also be interested to see in the lalvin finishes first too?

Cheers

Brian
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

KoY update:

D47: 12 bpm with no sign of foam AT ALL. None.
      K1-V116: 10bpm Zip foam
      GV1: 11bpm with no foam*
      GV2: 10bpm about 1cm of foam*
      Bread Yeast: 6bpm about 0.5cm of foam.

This was taken last night at about 7pm.

I think the majority of the samples have reached their stride right now. Except the bread yeast. I'm pretty convinced that it has done the majority of its fermenting. I'll take a gravity reading tonight and see how they all are doing.

There seems to be a temperature dependant foam forming with the GV1 and GV2. With GV1 as the temperature drops overnight the foam disappears (ie by morning it is gone completely), however in the mid evening after I've been cooking and the kitchen has warmed up the foam returns. I'll set up the data harvester to see how the temperaure varies through a couple day cycle.

The GV2 seems to be very similar except it retains its foam and goes through a cycle of the amount of foam. (Warmer temp = more foam, colder temp = less foam).

The natural reaction to these results is that the yeasts are slowing down in the codler temperatures and producing less gas therefore less foam, however the yeasts appear (from the bpm) to be going at more or less the same speed!

When I get home tonight I'll update with:
      A further bpm reading.
      Some pictures.
      Last edited by koomber; 07-04-2010, 09:49 AM. Reason: 7pm not am D'oh!
      Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
      Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
      -Police Squad

Comment

My money is on the K1V-1116 finishing first and fully (its my new favourite yeast)
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

snap - and delivering the best end product!
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

My money's on the D47!
            Steve

Comment

oooo I am scared now D47 is specifically for white .....

Comment

Just stumbled upon the lalvin site. Blimey a kid in a sweet shop eh?
                I think 71B-1122 might be good for the Seyval next year?

Do we have a supplier of the range please?

Comment

in my experience D47 will finish last because it's lazy, but will deliver a better wine in the end up. I'm sure i read somewhere that whites are better fermented slowly.
                  With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Originally posted by ukric View Post
                    in my experience D47 will finish last because it's lazy, but will deliver a better wine in the end up. I'm sure i read somewhere that whites are better fermented slowly.
                    Exactly right. It won't win any races, but I've had fantastic results with D47.
                    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                      Just stumbled upon the lalvin site. Blimey a kid in a sweet shop eh?
                      I think 71B-1122 might be good for the Seyval next year?

Do we have a supplier of the range please?
                      Correct (in my opinion) - should reduce the acidity a bit .

71B is the same as Gervin D. We think it is also Vintners Harvest MA33.

Karl can supply Gervin D. If he cannot supply the others you could try www.brewingathome.co.uk (my local). I have bought Gervin and VH from there.
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                        Correct (in my opinion) - should reduce the acidity a bit .

71B is the same as Gervin D. We think it is also Vintners Harvest MA33.

Karl can supply Gervin D. If he cannot supply the others you could try www.brewingathome.co.uk (my local). I have bought Gervin and VH from there.
                        I have got the number somewhere for Prof. Peter Gervin - I might give him a call and talk it through. I know that there was some issue when he sold the brand/company. Last time we spkoe he went apoplectic when I mentioned fermenting on wild yeast.

Comment

Pete ,

Any idea for a RC212 - is there someone else packing it? It sounds like a good plan for reds - even in my temp range at almost 30c

Comment

I have got the number somewhere for Prof. Peter Gervin -.

lol Brian

Its Prof Gerry Fowles (I think its your age)

RC-212 needs careful nutrient additions, but can be bought from a few outlets. It can be had direct from Lallemand (Lalvin) but you need to buy 100 packets. Vigo ltd do it in 500g packets which works out cheaper....maybe we could do a yeast share?
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I have got the number somewhere for Prof. Peter Gervin - I might give him a call and talk it through. I know that there was some issue when he sold the brand/company. Last time we spkoe he went apoplectic when I mentioned fermenting on wild yeast.
                              I will love you forever for using the word 'apoplectic'. Possibly my favourite word and cheered me up no end this morning after I've been abusing juice of the grape and the grain!

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                              lol Brian

Its Prof Gerry Fowles (I think its your age)

RC-212 needs careful nutrient additions, but can be bought from a few outlets. It can be had direct from Lallemand (Lalvin) but you need to buy 100 packets. Vigo ltd do it in 500g packets which works out cheaper....maybe we could do a yeast share?
                              That sounds like a plan. How long/many people would a 500g stretch to? Isn't that about 100 gallons of wine? What about storage of the seperated packet?
                              Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                              Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                              -Police Squad

Comment

500g split would likely serve 100 winemakers if they all made a starter of it, it could last them a full year.

All you ever needed to know about yeast starters Extract from Progressive Winemaking Peter Duncan and Bryan Acton Yeast starters are very easy to prepare and no difficulties should be encountered if the following directions are observed. A wine bottle is first sterilised with the stock (10%) sulphite solution mentioned in
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X