No announcement yet.

Home made wine filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All parts bought finally bought today- 1 micro filter, filter housing, power supply for pump, and hose. If it works, I've got a wine filter for under 50quid. If it fails, at least I've got a pump for the sous vide or racking.

Comment

Mike - did this work. Was the pump strong enough or did you go for the Shurflo one in the end? Does it effectively pull from the 1st container, push it through the filter into the clean container without vacuum?
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I am interested to know how you got on with this tooooo
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I'm still waiting for my 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and 3/8" hose to come. I'll post pictures and let you know how it works. The 1 micro filters are more robust than those vinbrite filters. Looks promising, I just hope my idea works.

Comment

I think it is a brilliant idea, very cost-effective. My only concern is just how much it will strip out of the wine. I would test it on white first ( but then I would )
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              I would test it on white first ( but then I would )
              Why Brian. Do you think Mike's filter will be capable of stripping the vinegar flavour out of wine? What would you put on your chips!
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

lol
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                  Why Brian. Do you think Mike's filter will be capable of stripping the vinegar flavour out of wine? What would you put on your chips!
                  made us laugh

Comment

Heres something I found on the Winexpert webpage.

"Some pads use a measurement of micron size in their descriptions as well. This refers to the limit on the sizes of the particles they filter out. So a 5-micron pad filters out all particles of that size or larger, while anything smaller than that goes through. The 5-micron pad tends to correspond to the Buon Vino #1 pad, which is the equivalent of 'coarse'. That means you wouldn’t use that size. Since the 1.8-micron pad fairly closely corresponds to the Buon Vino #2 pad – the size recommended for kit wines – that would be the size pad you’d use if you’re going by micron measurement."

I can get 1 and 5 micron filters. 1 for whites, 5 for reds? This would be the perfect device for fellow apartment brewers!

Comment

IMG_20121009_131722.jpgIMG_20121009_131730.jpgIMG_20121009_131933.jpg

Some eye candy

Comment

I'm attached the power supply to the pump and it works! Still waiting for the adapter and 3/8" hose to come in the mail. The pump said it came with 10mm: 1/2" inlets, so I didn't bother with buying the 10mm (3/8") hose. When the 1/2" hose came, it was too big.

Hopefully I'll be filtering by the end of the week.

I'll do a "total cost" at the end if the system works.

Comment

Mike. You can buy tube adaptors / multi tube connectors. I used one in my vacuum set up. I don't know whether this is of any use to you but they have them here.

Universal Tube Connector A useful device for connecting diffrent sizes of tubing
                          Simon

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
                            Mike. You can buy tube adaptors / multi tube connectors. I used one in my vacuum set up. I don't know whether this is of any use to you but they have them here.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/...Connector.html
                            Thanks for the advice. I ended up buying these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007592015...84.m1497.l2649) the other day. It should work. I ended up buying 5m of the 1/2" reinforced tubing thinking it would all fit. It won't and I ended up buying an additional 2m of 3/8" tubing. These small buys are increasing to the total price of the filter, but still it should be cheaper than a commercial unit.

Btw- the filter housing came today and it is much bigger than I expected lol. IMG_20121009_145113.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
                              These small buys are increasing to the total price of the filter, but still it should be cheaper than a commercial unit.

Btw- the filter housing came today and it is much bigger than I expected lol. [ATTACH=CONFIG]2984[/ATTACH]
                              That is big but easy to clean. Also doing the filter this way means that you will have lots of control over the individual parts if you need to change/replace them. This is often missing in commercial 'things' nowadays.
                              Simon

Comment

If you wanted at this point you could make a very deluxe absolute filter. You would need to add a pressure Gage in between each section so you could watch for plugging up but it would most certainly work. you could even set this up to reverse flow so one could clean out a plug up once it happened by isolating each section with quick disconnects then have a like one going to a tap with a fresh water flow. Back wash the filter then go back to work. Each section would also be isolated and protected by the previous filter. The first one being a course and quite cheap to replace i would venture this would make a great system easily.
                                http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Working...
                                X