Tinned strawberry wine inflation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinned strawberry wine inflation

Afew weeks ago tinned strawberries at Tesco's were 25p, last week they were 42p, and today I see there 52p! Should have bought in bulk afew months ago

Originally posted by seebee View Post
    Afew weeks ago tinned strawberries at Tesco's were 25p, last week they were 42p, and today I see there 52p! Should have bought in bulk afew months ago
    I suspect it's got more to do with "seasonality" i.e. yes, tinned stuff does have a long shelf life, but they'd want to clear the warehouse(s) of stock that's going to be in glut for a good while yet - and allowing for the time to can, pack, warehouse, etc the newer stock I'd think that it's about this years produce coming back onto the shelves at the "usual" price.

When I looked for some of the "cheap black currants" that have been mentioned recently, "the cupboard was bare". It would/could be a similar thing.

In fact, the only cheap fruit I could find was "broken mandarin segments" - given that they're a "warmer climate fruit" and can be grown commercially in a greater number of locations (locations with "cheap labour that is), it takes some of the "seasonality" out of things...

Personally, since the local tesco is part of their current "focus on fruit/veg" campaign, I'm taking my "first steps" book with me when we shop for food. Then I'm likely to know if there's a recipe for whatever's on offer (11lb of kiwi fruit yesterday, all for £6).

Might be miles off, of course, but having previously worked within the food industry, I'd suggest it as "probable"!

regards

JtFB

p.s. besides, the tinned strawb' recipe I have only uses about 15oz of fruit - so if you used 3 tins (of current size) to make sure of a reasonable depth of strawb' flavour, "a quid and a half" isn't exactly gonna break the bank is it
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yep .. I noticed the price hike too..

I have manage to find a source of fresh though.
      At the local carboot/market,if you catch them at the end of the day, they sell 3 punnets for a quid to get rid of them.
      The only down side for me is, I am now getting GBH of the earhole about the amount of freezer space I am taking up.
      I wish I was a glow worm
      Cos a glow worm's never glum
      It's hard to be unhappy
      When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
        Yep .. I noticed the price hike too..

I have manage to find a source of fresh though.
        At the local carboot/market,if you catch them at the end of the day, they sell 3 punnets for a quid to get rid of them.
        The only down side for me is, I am now getting GBH of the earhole about the amount of freezer space I am taking up.
        Ha ha! ergo, it's handy to try the tinned ones, you can chuck 'em in the corner of a cupboard/shed/garage without the need for the new "fruit storage" fridge/freezer

Good price for the fresh ones though.

regards

JtFB
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Even at these prices it's still cheap wine.
          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Hmmm....
            It does seem to be seasonal...
            Tinned blackcurrants and blackberries are reducing in price, and coming into season.
            Might stock up on a few cans each of these
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
              Hmmm....
              It does seem to be seasonal...
              Tinned blackcurrants and blackberries are reducing in price, and coming into season.
              Might stock up on a few cans each of these
              I've gotta get into the habit of checking the tinned fruit, when we shop, because let's face it, if you can get the fruit cheaper than usual it makes the result taste better

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Speaking of which ....

Tesco Rhubarb, 39p for a 500+g tin.

Now, just got to find a tinned rhubarb recipe ...
                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                  Speaking of which ....

Tesco Rhubarb, 39p for a 500+g tin.

Now, just got to find a tinned rhubarb recipe ...
                  CJJ's ancient "tinned and dried fruit" book says this

Two 1lb 3oz tins of rhubarb.
                  3lb sugar (U.S. 2 1/2 lb)
                  1 tablespoon depectiniser (U.S. 2 tablespoons)
                  1 nutrient tablet
                  White wine yeast
                  Water to 1 gallon

Here a cold water method must be used or you are likely to run into jellification troubles. Chop, crush or mince the rhubarb, conserving the juice, or put it through a liquidiser, and then pour the cold water on to it and add the pectozyme, and 1 Campden tablet. Stand in a warem pace closely covered for 24 hours. Then stir in the sugar and add your yeast and nutrient. Cover closely again and leave for four days, stirring daily. Then strain into fermentation jar, top up with water to bottom of neck, and fit air lock. Ferment out rack and bottle as usual.
                  As ever, this is an old recipe, so it's probably a case of beware of the amount of sugar. As Bob says, the old AW/CJJ recipes are very high on sugar, so use your hydrometer.

Obviously, there's nothing wrong in using a modern nutrient i.e. tronozymol or similar, and an "up to date" yeast, maybe something like 71B or D47 or equivalent.

I'm not entirely sure what's meant by the "conserving the juice", hell if it's in syrup I'd use it and see if I could get away without adding any sugar. Your hydrometer would give you a clue about that.

Hope it helps some.

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Excellent - thanks John. I have just posted in the Tinned Fruit thread, so I'd better go and sort that one out.

You're just too quick
                    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

John, what he means by conserving the juice is saving it and adding it to the must once the rhubarb has been processed.
                      I've made this recipe and it turned out very pleasant
                      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                        Excellent - thanks John. I have just posted in the Tinned Fruit thread, so I'd better go and sort that one out.

You're just too quick
                        Just under 10 years as a Royal Naval communicator means that if I see something, I can type it reasonably quickly - and lets face it, recipes aren't exactly War and Peace or Das Kapital
                        Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                        John, what he means by conserving the juice is saving it and adding it to the must once the rhubarb has been processed.
                        I've made this recipe and it turned out very pleasant
                        Excellent, I'll have to give it a try then Jan - did you follow the recipe exactly or did you keep the sugar down a bit and rely on hydrometer readings ???

regards

JtFB

Some blog ramblings

Comment

As this was one of the first wines I made I followed the recipe as is (didn't know any better and didn't have a hydrometer either) But it turned out very light and refreshing. Very more-ish.

I must say though it went on bubbling forever. I racked off the lees two or three times and eventually it was as clear as plain water, but was still active.

If I remember rightly it took about 6 months or so to stop, but boy was it worth the wait!
                          Let's party

Comment

I found that a little grated root ginger fremented with my tinned rhubarb just gave it that little extra kick for me.
                            I wish I was a glow worm
                            Cos a glow worm's never glum
                            It's hard to be unhappy
                            When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

I agree with you there. I've added ginger to fresh rhubarb and it worked well. I also made a batch with orange juice which was even better,
                              Let's party

Comment

Working...
                              X