375ml Wine Bottles??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 375ml Wine Bottles??

I'm thinking of sourcing some smaller wine bottles for the times I don't want to open a full 750ml bottle. I'd like them to sit in the cellar still so "proper" bottles I can cork & label and make them look presentable.

Is this something other people do? Maybe a silly question.

I spoke to my LHBS and he said he hasn't been able to source them since last year. He also said they are as expensive (or more expensive!) than 750ml bottles.

A quick "google" shows a few places selling various types but I wanted to see what people do on here for smaller bottles, where you source them etc?

Thanks.
    Stuart

View My Current BrewTrax Stat's here
    BrewTrax forum discount details here

Pretty sure Goldseal cornered the market with half bottles..

Yes, they are/were more expensive than proper bottles. They only fit in certain floor corkers without making a spacer up. But, they are excellent for 'tasters' to see how it's maturing.

I believe you can still get clear half bottles easily, but I've not seen the green ones for a while. If you keep an eye out in the supermarket, Tesco occasionally have Cassilero (Spelling?) on offer in half bottles, usually £3.50 ish down to £2.50 ish. I've bought a few of those when they've been on offer.

Comment

I can get them, but would need to buy a pallette full (around 1600)

they would work out something like 30p each

but I would need to be able to shift them

if anyone is interested, and there are enough...i can get them
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I can get clear ones for 75p a bottle, a mate lives in Brum and has said he'll bring them up for me when he visits... no postage

Stunning Home Brewed Beer, Wine & Ciders direct. The best quality at the best prices.

A lot more expensive than Bob can get them... but then that's what you get for bulk ordering
        With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
          I can get them, but would need to buy a pallette full (around 1600)

they would work out something like 30p each

but I would need to be able to shift them

if anyone is interested, and there are enough...i can get them
          I would be interested in about 100 bottles and happy to pay up front if I could collect them in September

Comment

I do a few bottlings in 375 ml. Like you say, they are nice when you don't want to open a 750 ml bottle. I'm able to get mini-Bordeaux style bottles locally for about 65p each. Some of the fancy icewine bottles are 93p, however, I don't use those often. They're not only expensive, but don't work in my floor corker without a jig.
            Steve

Comment

You could ask around at restaurants-some of them have half-bottles on their wine lists.

Comment

@ 30p (ish) each, id take 100

Comment

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                  I would be interested in about 100 bottles and happy to pay up front if I could collect them in September
                  if we do it, that wouldn't be a problem

I will get a firm price
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Would love to get hold of some - been collecting the small 1 glass bottles from local cinema! - but stuck with their screw tops - Mrs threw out my 30 odd old 1/2 bottles some years back - would the Portuguese floor corker work with smaller bottles? Any cheap way of getting say 50 over to the Manchester/Liverpool side of this mighty nation?

Comment

I would love 100 too...
                      But I think the postage would mean it too much to be a good deal, if you know what I mean.
                      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Apologies for my slow reply to this thread.
                        I have injured my hand and having to stay off the PC for a while. Not easy when you job is working on PC's all day and all night

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like a few people are interested in Bob's suggestion. I too would be interested in a quantity. I probably wouldn't need 100, but I'd be happy to take that sort of quantity. My LHBS might even take some Bob as he can't seem to source them himself....

Cheers, Stuart
                        Stuart

View My Current BrewTrax Stat's here
                        BrewTrax forum discount details here

Comment

If anyone is interested, Kriek comes in 375 mm wine bottles. A wee bit expensive maybe but it's a nice drink.
                          Available in Tesco amungst others

Comment

Does anyone know where i can source 30 375ml bottles for my chocolate and strawberry port as my LHOS cannot get hold of any anymore.
                            Thanks
                            BrewTrax Stats

Comment

clear or green?

Comment

Working...
                              X