No announcement yet.

Bulk aging query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interesting that you have got the same one's Bob. I got the 5 gallons of Blackberry and elderberry in it at the moment and was debating weather to leave it in there or transfer when its stopped, to either 5 one gallon DJs or the glass carbuoy,,Will be interesting to find out your results about aging in them. That did concerned me,,even though the website said they are ok for aging..

"Quote:
    Originally Posted by waggoner
    I payed £16.75 for it plus p+p

Still seems expensive for a 'pop' bottle."

Lol...i guess so,,but it miles less frightening to use than the glass one,,that thing scares me!!!
    Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

I was not aware of the other style of Pet style fermenter. I believe in what my supplier says so I think with these all will be fine. RJSpagnols would not recommend to use a certain style of fermenter with out researching them throughly.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I have quite a few Better Bottles, one of the 'Chinese' not-Better-Bottles ('NBB') and a few glass carboys.

No problems so far with the NBB.

Expensive? I agree, but Better Bottles have shot up to £30+ for some reason. I was paying around £13 last year. I guess in relative terms, £17 is cheap. They are still cheaper than glass.

I have no problems moving the plastic, but glass carboys are scary. Plenty of opportunity to lose a digit or a few pints of blood .
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

glass carboys are scary.
          Agree. 200%
          I don't move them - only when empty - you need an uphill syphon
          I like the BB/NBB but not big enough & ££eeek

I am watching long term storage with interest. But what is long term storage - 1 year? 2?

I have used 25l HDPE drums (see pic) - and they stack!!

Which led me to this - http://www.applegate.co.uk/listings/...A-1121366.html
          .......... very interesting ?
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Checked all my containers and they are all PET so panic over. Dunno why I was panicking anyway as I have been using them for a while now with no problems. Like the idea of stackable 25 litre drums but how do they compare for cost?
            I have used 25l HDPE drums (see pic) - and they stack!!
            erm....
            Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

So great info here guys but I,m still a bit unclear .

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              Make sure on the molded stamp they say HDPE. They will be OK, but bear in mind they are gas permeable (they breathe) so your wine will mature quicker than in glass or stainless.
              Plastic milk jugs have this stamp ... not that I want to use these but thought in of interest .

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
              There are different grades of plastic. Better bottle carboys are a number 1 water bottles are a number 7 that is stamped right on the bottom. Here is a link to Better bottle themselves there are decent explanations and descriptions there. As for bottling you wine right away that is up to you. One thing I have found with wine and beer making using proper equipment and proper technique always produces better product. Using equipment not designed for or not taking the proper techniques and procedures leads to oxidization and off flavors. Here is the link. http://www.better-bottle.com/
              The water bottles I have are marked Pet with a 1 in the triangle .

So would these be okay to use ??
              Sorry if I,m being stupid ....

Comment

Originally posted by Original Mac View Post
                Checked all my containers and they are all PET so panic over. Dunno why I was panicking anyway as I have been using them for a while now with no problems. Like the idea of stackable 25 litre drums but how do they compare for cost?
                erm....
                Not more than a £5 in the right place - you could consider a little more sulphite although I never did.

Originally posted by N.K.
                Plastic milk jugs have this stamp
                Indeed they do - same plastic - but very very thin. For short term they are OK too but they just look wrong, however good your label design is

For reference the UN grade drums are the thickest and the best stackers. You can easily get ALL the air out by tipping them back slightly (cap high) and then squeezing the side with your knees while doing up the last 1/4 turn of the lid. Watch the lids - some come with breathers - easily removed -small disc of corrugated plastic.
                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                X