Non-soak corks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-soak corks

Using Westminster corks which say "do not soak". So am I OK to just scald them with boiling water to sterilise them?
    Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
    Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
    Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Do not soak corks. This is a very old out of date idea. Corks are sanitized ready to use when you take them out of the bag. A lot of people think they soften the cork by soaking and this is supposed to aid in insertion. While it may soften the cork the procedure also starts to break the cork down making a poor seal and it also encourages mold growth in the cork that causes cork taint.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I believe that boiling water will remove a coating that is on most corks. I do not recommend it.

I sanitize my corks by rinsing quickly in a bit of iodophor (or K-meta will do), and then drain in a colander.

Steve
      the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
      "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I'm with Steve here

I dont use boiling water (in any part of my winemaking) sulphite solution will do the job nicely.
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
          Do not soak corks. This is a very old out of date idea. Corks are sanitized ready to use when you take them out of the bag. A lot of people think they soften the cork by soaking and this is supposed to aid in insertion. While it may soften the cork the procedure also starts to break the cork down making a poor seal and it also encourages mold growth in the cork that causes cork taint.
          I agree completely. I don't soak corks or even use sanitizer on them. Haven't for over 10 years now. Furthermore, I've asked about this at three or four commercial wineries and have always gotten the same answer: we insert them dry right out of the bag.

That's good enough for me.
          Steve

Comment

Thanks chaps...guess I'm stuck in the 1980s! I normally bottle 24-30 at anone time, so the newly opened corks would be sterile, but what of I only bottle 6 and don't bottle again for a month or so...the corks wouldn't still be sterile? I also find it hard to fit corks that haven't been soaked, but your answers explain some past mistakes, thanks
            Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
            Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
            Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Build yourself a corkidor. 1 large bucket with a snap down lid. 1 small Tupperware container with a snap on lid punch a hole in this lid. Put some liquid k-metta in the Tupperware container and set the Tupperware container on center bottom of large bucket with its lid snapped shut. Pour your corks around the Tupperware container snap on the big bucket lid good to go.
              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                we insert them dry right out of the bag.
                Phew - I thought it was only me !!!
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Inserting corks dry is easy if you have a floorcorker. If (like me) you use a hand corker then try this. Stand around a dozen corks on a plate and microwave on full power for 20-30 seconds (depending on the power of your microwave). The corks will feel warm to the touch and will insert very easily. The microwave action also takes care of any bugs you might have on said corks. Job done! Dont forget to exclude as much air as possible before resealing the bag to help stop the remaining corks from drying out. Or use the corkidor, whatever works for you.
                  Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Working...
                  X