Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding banana for body

Hi all,

I heard about adding bananas for body... how do you go about this, do i just mash and boil and add to the must?

Thanks

Skin and Boil the bananas for about 20 mins then and add the juice to the must (no pulp)

will add body and aid clearing

regards

bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Just be careful not to overdo it. I remember sitting next to (wine judge) Richard Brooksbank at the Pontefract open show last year. He was judging dessert wines and I was stewarding for him. He tasted one port-type wine and immediately declared it had bananas in it. Funny, but I hadn't tasted the bananas until he mentioned it. From that point on, I can now taste bananas in homemade fruit wines. Where I hadn't noticed it previously, now the flavor seems to jump right out of the glass and announce itself.
      Steve

Comment

Yes

If pulp is used the flavour and smell become quite prominent. It is much less noticeable if just using the juice.

I generally boil 1lb bananas in 1 pint water (per gallon) strain pulp out, and allow to cool, then add to must

regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

does glycarine do the same job, or is it a different effect?

Comment

Glycerine adds body, but not as much as banana and wont help with clearing...it will also add a sweet note (banana wont)
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Sooo, anybody know any good recipies for fished out, boiled bannana?

Would this work for white or red?

Comment

Working...
              X