Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes he had degassed it...

The thing that was of more concern, was the vaseline coated O ring... and what effect this would have on the wine.

He has racked and added another lot of finings..
    He is just going to wait and see what happens now, as I didn't know what effect the vaseline would have on the wine.... or him if he drank it
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Might have left a bit of grease in the wine but I doubt it'll have much effect on taste or clearing altho I'm guessing here.

Comment

• it'll probably taste a bit smoother.
        I wish I was a glow worm
        Cos a glow worm's never glum
        It's hard to be unhappy
        When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• and it'll slide down nice 'n easy
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
            it'll probably taste a bit smoother.
            Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
            and it'll slide down nice 'n easy
            LMAO.... Brilliant

Mind ..... he does suffer from eczema, so maybe this will help
            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer;24947

g/ Supermarket red grape juice should give the effect of a light red, the lack of [B
              tannin [/B]from the skins will prevent it being any more substantial.

Phew that was some first post!!!
              Would adding 1 tablespoon black tea leaves like Assam to 1 gallon help ?Idea from a very old book I have for increasing tannin in wine.Has some great recipies like Oak leaf wine!!!:
              Last edited by plonky; 15-02-2009, 02:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• I'll leave Duffbeer to give you the definitive answer on this one, but I wouldn't add tea leaves as such. Brew them up and use the liquid is what I'd do.
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by plonky View Post
                  Would adding 1 tablespoon black tea leaves like Assam to 1 gallon help ?Idea from a very old book I have for increasing tannin in wine.Has some great recipies like Oak leaf wine!!!:
                  Tea will work as a tannin addition, but do as Mamgi suggests and use hot water like making a cuppa and discard the tea leaves.
                  However the tannin from tea will not substitute what would be naturaly extracted from the skins and seeds of fermenting on the pulp, the fermentation process extracts complex flavours and colour that tea tannin cannot replicate.
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Your LHBS should have grape tannin it is inexpensive it will add bite and if used at the end of the brew can be use as a type of fining it will strip some colour though.
                    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• Well my Tropical fruit NO1 finished fermenting one Tropical fruit pressed and one carton white grape juice it has a slightly bitter like grapefruit aftertaste I think the passion fruit in the juice may have contributed it?

.I did not add citric acid before fermentation would that solve the problem or should I sweeten it slightly?Fully fermented out no residual sugar.

Also Kwiklear what is the best temp for that to work and should I use it after the first racking.
                      Do I add it and then move to somewhere cold or leave it somewhere warm then move it somewhere cold?

Many thanks.
                      Last edited by plonky; 06-03-2009, 04:20 PM. Reason: spell

Comment

• Just to say there is little to be added to wine N01 by using additional grape juce i have made two versions one using three litres of pressed grape juice and one using two there is very little difference.

Would adding 8oz of sultanas increases the "vinosity" ( is that the correct word?)
                        Anyway great recipie I made one batch using one red grape juice and one apple and the results are its a favorite an excellent Rose !

Am now starting a white N01 and have added a tin of goosberries I know some
                        one who wants a crisp fruity white!

Thanks for the recipies and the tuition here.

Many thanks

Comment

Just to say there is little to be added to wine N01 by using additional grape juce i have made two versions one using three litres of pressed grape juice and one using two there is very little difference.

Would adding 8oz of sultanas increases the "vinosity" ( is that the correct word?)
                          Anyway great recipie I made one batch using one red grape juice and one apple and the results are its a favorite an excellent Rose !

Am now starting a white N01 and have added a tin of goosberries I know some
                          one who wants a crisp fruity white!

Thanks for the recipies and the tuition here.

Many thanks
                          Just to say the addition of 1 tin of Goosegoggs to the wine N01 resulted in more sharpness and fruitiness>

(Btw the Wine N01 made from the Morrissons pressed juice is STILL clearing!)

It was an experiment for a Pinot Grigio fan and they love it!:
                          Last edited by plonky; 26-03-2009, 01:05 AM. Reason: keyboard!

Comment

• Excellent...good job

isnt this hobby fun?
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I've just got my hands on 11 one gallon demijohns.

I have bottled a cyser and traditional mead, as well as having a go at joes ancient orange and red grape mead.

I'd like to do a couple more meads and cysers however there is so much positive feedback from the Wine No. 1 and possibly No.2 that I think a decent amount should be made.

At the same time I thought that I havent really understood the effect of using different yeasts and wondered whether someone might be able to give me a few different yeasts that would work well, but perhaps differently for No.1 and No.2. Other than that I'll be following the recipe recipe very closely.

if this is in entirely the wrong place, feel free to move it.
                              A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well

Comment

• see Here

N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X