Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There should be a bloopwatchers anonymous for us all
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hello everyone, my name is AbingdonBoy, and i'm a bloopwatcher...

Comment

• Hi AbingdonBoy, welcome to Bloopwatchers Anonymous. How long have you been bloopwatching? I have been indulging in this strange hobby for about 40 hours now so just a learner!

www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Hi Shirl,

I am new to Bloopwatching also, I have been watching for 7 days. My first batch of turbo cider has just about stopped fermenting I think, so I might rack it tonight. How exciting

Regards,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• i dont usually bother with extra sugar at the beginning most of the apple juices ive got have worked out about 1050(i think thats written right)which should work out about 6 % abv ,nice it is
            mark
            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Hi again.

My turbo cider is now rather cloudy - still bubbling well. Is that normal? We really can't believe that it will turn clear from the colour it is now!!

Cheers, Shirley
              www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Yup it will clear....never fear
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi Lockwood,

Racked my turbo last night, and now i am waiting for it to clear...

Was thinking of priming a few bottles, should i do this after it has cleared, or should i clear it in the bottle with the sugar?

Cheers,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• I think getting it as clear as you can before riming is a good idea

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• i rack into a clean demi john when ferment has finished leave to settle for one day ,and its usually clear enough by then ,then prime with three teaspoons of sugar and before i put the lid on i push a small dint into the bottle(pet)then screw the lid on tight,then leave somewhere warm till they are solid and then fridge them beauty mate i like it fizzy
                      mark
                      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Hi All,

Had my first Turbo cider last night, and it was really nice, even Mrs AbingdonBoy liked it...

However today I am feeling as rough as a rough thing. This could just be a coincidence, as I think I am getting a cold. But just wandered if I could have done something wrong in the brewing process??? Can’t see as I have, as it is so simple and the ingredients are so pure….

Don't let this put anyone off, as the brew is really nice and it is probably just me

Regards,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• AbingdonBoy sorry to hear you are feeling poorly - hope it isn't the cider!!

My turbo cider has been siphoned to a second dj and is clearing slowly. Can't wait to try it (other than the sip I had as I started the siphoning off)!!

Heeby, for priming - is that 3 teaspoons of sugar to a 2litre bottle? Also, does it keep its fizz well if you use 2litre bottles - I am having trouble convincing OH not to throw bottles out and haven't got any one litre ones left!!

Cheers - Shirley
                          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by shirlthegirl43
                            AbingdonBoy sorry to hear you are feeling poorly - hope it isn't the cider!!

My turbo cider has been siphoned to a second dj and is clearing slowly. Can't wait to try it (other than the sip I had as I started the siphoning off)!!

Heeby, for priming - is that 3 teaspoons of sugar to a 2litre bottle? Also, does it keep its fizz well if you use 2litre bottles - I am having trouble convincing OH not to throw bottles out and haven't got any one litre ones left!!

Cheers - Shirley
                            yes 2 litre hold the pressure too just remember if the bottles have a little plastic disc inside the lid you need to keep that in there, i use 1 litre because i can finish one of them once opened, also the commonly stated amount of sugar for priming is 1 teaspoon per 500ml but in my bottles i use 1.5 teaspoons per 500ml so that would be 6tsp per 2litres and make sure you get them in the fridge once they are hard with co2
                            mark
                            "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• I have made loads of Turbo since i started winemaking, and i find that every batch i make is always different to the previous. Having said that, it is great stuff to experimient with i.e adding honey, cinnamon, more sugar etc.
                              My only concern is, i cannot get it to perfectly clear. It doesn`t bother me as i quite like it cloudy. So what am i doing wrong? I do make it strong, as my mates love to pop round and help me drink it. Could it be that i am making it too strong?
                              Any help always appreciated,
                              cheers

Comment

• How strong it is shouldn't affect how clear it is.
                                Priming in the bottle will always produce extra sediment, that will make it go cloudy when disturbed, is it clear before you prime?

maybe you arent leaving it long enough to clear before you prime? try leaving next batch a little longer before priming and see if it clears on its own mebbe

but if you dont mind it cloudy.....
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X