X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ill start one next week then and report my findings hic
    "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• would there be any problems in making a large batch of this in a 25 litre bucket with a lid and an airlock at present im using a mixture of demijohns and 5litre spring water bottles seem to remember ssomething about the large surface area when using a bucket causing problems.thanks
      mark
      "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Originally posted by DAVID
        Just gotta find the time to drink it now
        Take some to work with you!
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• while im planning for my 25 litres i was looking for some 1 litre bottles for it to go into all the ones in brewshops online were about 55p each so while in morrissons i looked for the cheapest 1 littre carbonated drink and found some fizzy water on offer 2 bottles for 25p nice
          mark
          "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Result!!!
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Just been out and purchased two demijons, corks and airlocks, to venture into brewing for the first time... Now have 2 gallons of turbo cider on the go using 9 X Tesco Value apple juice and 1 X Tesco Value Honey and a sachet of Gervin: No 1 Yeast...

Wish me luck.

Regards,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• goodluck abingdon boy let us know how it turns out its quite an easy recipe and good for experimenting with have fun (in moderation )beware the banging hangovers drink plenty of water
                mark
                "we need a bigger boat"

Comment

• Good luck

And welcome aboard

let us know how you get on with it.....

regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Okay all,

Yup - a real newbie here!!!

I am about to start a gallon of this stuff off.

OH bought Tesco Pure Apple Juice from concentrate for me as he couldn't find the value stuff. Sure it will be okay but I guess increasing the price!

Just a question or two before I put it together -

I just bung the juice in the demijohn with the yeast (I have a 7gram package of Youngs Brew super wine yeast compound - do I use the whole package or just a teaspoonful)? Then I put in a rubber bung with an airlock - how do I do this - sorry to be so thick but do I just bung it in?

Yikes, I really sound dim reading this back but I am really looking forward to trying this home brewing thing!!

Cheers folks
                    www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• Think of wine yeast like people they Like air I can't forget to mention that LAter on in fermentation when the alcohol raises Air can be bad for Wine Unless you Like sherry (which isn't BAd to me at all from some mistakes I've had)

You could add a towel I meaN PAPER TOWL, but Thats is usually easyer for buckets in the primary.

I would add A Hole packet unless you are doing two at once then I'd split it, and I would Peobaly add A Airlock with a Bung for the first wine.
                      http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

• Originally posted by shirlthegirl43
                        I just bung the juice in the demijohn with the yeast (I have a 7gram package of Youngs Brew super wine yeast compound - do I use the whole package or just a teaspoonful)? Then I put in a rubber bung with an airlock - how do I do this - sorry to be so thick but do I just bung it in?

Yikes, I really sound dim reading this back but I am really looking forward to trying this home brewing thing!!
                        Assuming you have sterilised everything then yep, just bung it in, least that is what I have done... I added half a jar of honey to mine to increase alcohol content

You will need to add water to the airlock.

Tried mine last night, and although it has not stopped brewing it is already tasting very nice...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

AbingdonBoy.

Comment

• Cheers.

Got it all sorted out and set up last night. Bubbling away merrily now.

May try adding honey to the next batch - decided to play safe with the first one. How much honey/sugar do I add to a one gallon demijohn please?

Family are all asking when will the be able to try the cider - how long does it take (on average) before being drinkable?

And just quickly while I am typing, 2 of the demijohns I got yesterday from Freecycle have star shaped chips on the bottoms as though they had been put down too hard. How can I check if they are safe to use?

Thanks again
                          www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• The ammount of sugar/honey you use is a personal thing, depends how strong you want it.

use your new hydrometer to measure,

if you want the end product to be around 5% ABV then add sugar/honey till the starting S.G. is 1.030

if you want it to be around 9% then add sugar/honey till starting S.G. is 1.066

download the alcohol calculation page from here to help
                            http://www.winesathome.net/forum/showthread.php?t=243

not really sure how to test the demijohns for soundness except maybe use them and see perhaps

hope this helps
                            regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Thanks, will stick to the original recipe for the first go and play around later.

Bubbling away merrily now. Cheap entertainment for a sad family we are all stood counting seconds between 'bloops' from the airlock!!!
                              www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

• If you want to Know How much sugar to use Keep this in Mind.

The higher the alcohol the longer it takes to Mature.
                                http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

Working...
                                X