No announcement yet.

Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just racked it for the first time and also had a taste of the cloudier stuff from the bottom and it was quite pleasant! and definately fairly strong.

Regarding still or sparkling, im not entirely sure, at the outset i was set on sparkling, but maybe it wouldn't be too bad still, i'll need to think about it!

Thanks for the reply

Comment

• Originally posted by 5thElement View Post
      Just racked it for the first time and also had a taste of the cloudier stuff from the bottom and it was quite pleasant! and definately fairly strong.

They all taste strong when new, the alcohol is to the fore....it will subside a bit. You can gaige strength by using your hydrometer at the start and at the end....
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Used the hydrometer to test it and it was down to 1.000, originally started at 1.054, but i forgot to take a reading before topping it up with more juice, so i wont be 100% certain on this one, lesson learned though!

How long can it typically take to clear?

Comment

• they are all different.........

you may need to use finings....give it a few days first though (is it starting to clear from the top down?)
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Yeah, it does appear to be clearing a little at the top, i'll give it a few days like you said and see if theres any improvement.

Is it best just kept a room temperature? or a cooler place if i can find somewhere cooler.

Comment

• keep it at room temp, you may eventually need to add finings, and they work best at room temp.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Thanks.

This morning theres a thin layer of sediment on the bottom and about half the demi john looks clearer, still nothing like crystal clear, but it looks like its getting there! i'll order some finings eitherway when i place an order for some other stuff, im sure it'll come in handy somewhere.

Comment

• Turbo Cider questions from a newbie

I bought some Tesco value apple juice today and I am going to have a go at Turbo Cider.

Is this correct:

Sterilise DJ and rinse etc

Add 3 litres of apple juice

Add one heaped teaspoon of yeast (I only have the Youngs Super Compound at the min)

Stir yeast slighty

Add bung/airlock and leave

Once it has stopped frothing (hopefully) top up with remaining apple juice

Leave

Now what do I do?

How long does this take to ferment and be ready to drink?

My husband doesn't drink much cider but he does like the odd dinky bottle of dry cider.

There are so many pages to trawl through I was getting a bit lost.

Comment

• Originally posted by sb44 View Post
                    I bought some Tesco value apple juice today and I am going to have a go at Turbo Cider.

Is this correct:

Sterilise DJ and rinse etc

Add 3 litres of apple juice

Add one heaped teaspoon of yeast (I only have the Youngs Super Compound at the min)

Stir yeast slighty

Add bung/airlock and leave

Once it has stopped frothing (hopefully) top up with remaining apple juice

Leave

Now what do I do?

How long does this take to ferment and be ready to drink?

My husband doesn't drink much cider but he does like the odd dinky bottle of dry cider.

There are so many pages to trawl through I was getting a bit lost.
                    Do not fit bung and airlock untill heavy foaming has ceased, just cover with kitchen paper or such.

Fit the bung and airlock and allow to ferment out (1.000 or less). Rack off lees, if not sweetening add 1 campden tablet, de gas and allow to clear, rack and bottle.

It will take the same time as any wine, the term "Turbo" relates only to the fact it's easy to make. As for ready to drink, in my opinion "never" but those who are a fan tend to drink it as soon as it's cleared.
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                      Do not fit bung and airlock untill heavy foaming has ceased, just cover with kitchen paper or such.

Fit the bung and airlock and allow to ferment out (1.000 or less). Rack off lees, if not sweetening add 1 campden tablet, de gas and allow to clear, rack and bottle.

It will take the same time as any wine, the term "Turbo" relates only to the fact it's easy to make. As for ready to drink, in my opinion "never" but those who are a fan tend to drink it as soon as it's cleared.
                      Thanks Duffbeer.

We aren't really cider drinkers but I just want to try it and if it's total carp I will only be pouring about £3 if that down the drain!

Comment

• Hi SB44,

Im using the same yeast as you and started my 1st turbo cider last saturday.

First off you'll want 4 litres of apple juice (demi john will hold 4.5l, so use atleast 4 to make it worthwhile!) after adding the yeast i never had any foaming up at all, only slightly after about 24 hours, but nothing like i've read other people mention.

It fermented to 1.000 from a start of 1.054 in 6 days.

I've now racked it and im waiting on it clearing (with finings to hand incase it refuses!)

Had a little taste while racking and it was quite pleasant! i've definately tasted worse ciders in my time!

You'll also need to decide if you want it still or sparkling, if you want sparkling you prime the bottles with some sugar (1 teaspoon per pint i think) but make sure you use PET bottles that can handle the pressure (i've bought some 1 litre bottles of lemonade from morrisons, 39p each)

Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Hi SB44,

First off you'll want 4 litres of apple juice (demi john will hold 4.5l, so use atleast 4 to make it worthwhile!) after adding the yeast i never had any foaming up at all, only slightly after about 24 hours, but nothing like i've read other people mention.

I've now racked it and im waiting on it clearing (with finings to hand incase it refuses!)

Had a little taste while racking and it was quite pleasant! i've definately tasted worse ciders in my time!

You'll also need to decide if you want it still or sparkling, if you want sparkling you prime the bottles with some sugar (1 teaspoon per pint i think) but make sure you use PET bottles that can handle the pressure (i've bought some 1 litre bottles of lemonade from morrisons, 39p each)

Good luck and have fun!
                          SB44, if you are planning on sparkling cider then do not add the campden tablet as mentioned in my earlier post, as it will stun the yeast.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                            SB44, if you are planning on sparkling cider then do not add the campden tablet as mentioned in my earlier post, as it will stun the yeast.
                            Okey dokey.

Comment

Hi SB44,

Good luck and have fun!
                              Thanks for the info.

Have just tested the SG and it look like it is 1.058but I'm not brill at reading these things but it is the Tesco Value Apple juice (the 58p a carton one).

We have plenty of tonic bottles so shall use those.

Oh well, off to put the yeast in there.

Don't think I shall get any overfoaming though using the Youngs yeast.

Shall let you know how I get on.

Cheers everyone for your advice.

Sharon

Comment

• Hi Sharon,

Will be interesting to hear if you do get alot of foaming, maybe it depends on the juice aswell?

I used 4.5 litres of "Stute" apple juice sourced in the 99p store, 1.5 litres for 99p.

The cider i made with the Don Simon juice reacted differently, foamed slightly more and the sediment at the bottom of the demi john after racking resembled a thick fruit smoothie! but my first cider (with the stute apple juice) left sediment that looked more like wet sand.

Graham

Comment

Working...
                                X