• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
    The mind boggles

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      get some teak oil on that table too (kidding)
      Tell me about it lol thats next on the "to do" list, honest!

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
      Did you soak the corks? Even the ones that don't need soaking go in much easier if you dip them in water first.
      The corks specifically said not to soak them, so i only gave it a quick rinse to remove any dust, then dried it off. I read on the youngs site that if you soak them it can make the silicon? coating come off and leave a milky residue in the wine.

The second corking went a little smoother but still took a huge amount of pressure to get it in there, so a pulled muscle and sore hand later, it is corked! now i know why people use proper corkers when doing alot of bottles!

Comment

• Oh dear......
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Oh my....

that was my 5,000th post

I need to get out more! (or at least attempt to get a life)
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Congrats on the 5000, that's 1/5 of the total posts on here!
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5thElement View Post
              Today my first gallon of turbo cider got bottled and i thought i'd post a little timeline here for any other beginners who might be interested. It took me 13 days from start to finish.

22/03/08 - Started with 4.5L of "Stute" Apple juice (OG 1.042) sugar added to bring it to 1.054. Around 4L added to demi john and the yeast (youngs super wine compound) pitched at 7:10pm.

23/03/08 - Airlock allready bubbling and fermentation has begun .

24/03/08 - Remaining 0.5L of juice added to demi john.

27/03/08 - Airlock bubbling slowing and fizzing dying down.

28/03/08 - Racked cider into clean demi john at 8:20pm. SG now 1.000. Had a sneaky taste, quite pleasant! Now left to clear.

01/04/08 - Racked again at 4:00pm (although probably uneccessary) cider alot clearer, small amount of sediment on bottom of demi john. SG now 0.998. Into clean demi john to clear and finish off.

04/04/08 - Cider bottled! Primed one litre with a teaspoon of sugar (in a PET bottle) and left the rest as still cider. Finishing SG 0.998.

Here's a picture of the finished cider

One thing worth mentioning, the hand corker took a hell of a lot of pressure to get the cork in, it's the first time i've used one and i didn't think it would be so hard! next time i'll make sure the corker is lined up 100% with the bottle neck and hopefully have a little more luck!

Overall, i think my first ever brew has gone well, people laughed and told me i'd end up with this murky/cloudy stuff that would taste like drain cleaner, but im happy to say the cider is pretty much crystal clear and tastes quite pleasant!
              That was great, I'm sure it will be of help to other newbies like me.

Comment

• ooooo look

as if to honour my 5,000th post, the word Turbo fell off the thread title
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• TURBOcider
                  National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Well, I thought I would leve it a couple of days
                      or so before testing the SG and I finally did it today.

It was 1.000 so I have racked to another dj.

The starting SG was 1.058 so does that mean this is 7.3% or 8%?

My husband had a little sip and says he could drink that on a sunny afternoon.

It still has a while to go but I think I would prefer 'fizzy' cider to still.

If I put some in 1ltr tonic bottles do I put one teaspoon of granulated sugar in each one?

Comment

• a drop of 58 ...

divide by 7.36

gives 7.8% (approx)
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Or.......

look it up on this chart from the resources section

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            Or.......

look it up on this chart from the resources section

http://www.winesathome.co.uk/downloa...olumechart.xls
                            Thanks Bob, shall take a look at that now. I did have a look on the leaflet I got with the hydrometer but I think your chart may be more detailed.

Comment

• Well I wasn't going to bother making anymore Turbo cider as although it was drinkable I didn't think it was worth making again.

I changed my mind and made another batch but added half a jar of honey that was left over from my Ancient Orange Mead.

I'm glad I had a change of heart, it is far better.

Has more body is a darker colour and tastes stronger and you can tell you have been drinking something alcoholic.

Just started another batch tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by sb44 View Post
                                I changed my mind and made another batch but added half a jar of honey that was left over from my Ancient Orange Mead.

I'm glad I had a change of heart, it is far better.

experimentation is the best part of this hobby (once you have your basic technique nailed down of course)

isnt it great when a plan comes together?
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X