Cider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw this on another forum

i think it illustrates turbo cider very well!
    going to use the pic to label my bottles of turbo cider
    Attached Files

Comment

Deadlydes, I'm impressed your cider lasts long enough for a label
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Mamgiowl: that is true

David: i may have to investigate t shirts. i will let you know if i do!
        well i definately will if anyone is interested??

Comment

25 ltr batch

I got 25 ltr of Tesco value apple juice yesterday and plan to start it over the weekend, when I've made 1 gallon batches I added 1 heaped teaspoon of GP yeast. How much yeast should I add to the 40 pint batch? I reckoned about 2 teaspoons would this be correct?
          Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Comment

Started a few gallons of this at the weekend, decided to experiment a little and threw in a cinnamon stick.

Fermenting shows no mercy to the beginner

Comment

hmmm, cinnamon stick? interesting, tell me how it turns out!

Comment

Will do hong, at the moment its bubbling away nicely and smells divine, not much more i can say until its finished.

Comment

Not this time David, the last Turbo Cider i made came out at 8.7 %, bloody good stuff , this time i opted for about 6 % we'll see when its finished, i hope to mature this one in bulk for a little while, and get on with some fruit wines.

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID
                    Same here Axl I seem to aim for around the 6% mark as well, have now started sweetening the finished cider up with Honey to around 1010 since I tried it out a few months ago.

Only one problem though it makes the cider taste like pop until you try to stand up depending on how many empties are strewn across the floor

LOL If this one ferments dry i'll leave it there, not to keen on the sweeter stuff, i'm bulk ageing this one, for my taste i prefer this cider as still as you can get it, in my novice opinion i kinda think the sweeter it gets the less taste comes through, but each to there own i suppose.

I've never had many empties since i bottled in 2L bottles, yep i learnt my lesson 1L bottles from now on.

Comment

Turbo Cider & Cinnamon Sticks

Hi All,

I'm new here (and to homebrewing generally) and this is my first post outside of the newbie area, so go steady!

I bought myself a jar of cinnamon sticks today, as a precursor to attempting a mead sometime in the near future. The idea I've just read (Axl) of throwing in a cinnamon stick into my turbo cider brew seems mighty appealing though ....

The question .... Do I throw it in whole or break it up? If the latter; into dust; small pieces or medium sized pieces?

FYI I don't have any sort of bag (muslin?) that I can contain the cinnamon in if it goes in in pieces .... The only thing I have to hand that I could use to get any pieces of cinnamon out of the brew before/at bottling would be a plain old kitchen sieve ....

BTW by the time I've had a chance to check back into this forum later today [it's an extremely ungodly hour here right now] the brew will be at least 36 hours into fermentation ... should that be relevant to any replies!

TIA,

Brewnut

Comment

Morning Brewnut,

I had a some of sticks of cinnamon left over from a couple of gallons of the orange mead, on pitching the yeast in the cider i thought what the heck i'll throw the cinnamon in as well, it was more a moment of madness than anything else, i have no idea what it'll taste like. (I've progressed to the experimental stage)

I used two sticks as i'm using a 2 gallon demijohn and put them in whole as with the mead, this maybe to much but the aroma isn't that over powering, as for the taste, not sure till its complete, but its an experiment.

Its been in there for a week and a half now and the cinnamon is starting to break up a tad, so far so good.

Happy brewing and keep us informed.

Comment

Turbo Cinnamon Cider Experiment Tasted Tonight!

Hi Axl,

I chucked in one cinnamon stick bought from sainsbury - it comes in a herb sized bottle (quite small).

My brew has calmed down from the furious it was after I topped up with water. It's now almost still, and tasted lovely when I had a nip, purely for the purposes of telling you all, of course, not for my own pleasure. <g>

I need to test of SG, as it tastes almost dry (about perfect for drinking a sample!), so I'm already unsure as to whether or not to invite a mate over and drink it right now!

I couldn't really taste any cinnamon in my taste tonight, so would add to anyone who adds cinnamon to add it at the start (I was a 36 hours late) ...

Brewnut

Comment

More Help Needed!

Hi Board,

Well that first turbo cider turned out so well it's all been drunk and I've put on a second brew! FYI the SG of the final brew was 0.995; circa 7.2% ABV.

I've got a couple of questions though about how to treat this stuff once brewed. To let you know where I got up to, obviously bubbles had stopped coming through the airlock and the SG was as per above. The cider was still quite cloudy though, from the yeast. I put a 2 litre bottle of the stuff in the fridge overnight and it started to 'clear' [become translucent] .... Otherwise all the rest got drunk cloudy!

This time around I want to exercise a little more patience, and try get the whole batch clear, as well as carbonating a couple of bottles. How do I do this? I think I understand how to carbonate now; a teaspoon of granulated sugar per 500ml, and leave the bottle to have a secondary ferment. What else should I be doing this time though; should I be using a Campden tablet &/or stabiliser?? If so, when? It would seem the campden tablet kills the yeast, therefore I shouldn't be adding that to anything I want carbonated, or should do so, only after it has carbonated?

Generally. treating me like the newbie I am, what do I do to get my turbo cider preserved, clear &/or carbonated?!

Thanks for all the help so far - don't quit on me now!!

Brewnut - the newbie!

Comment

Time is the best clearing agent, I dont think you need to stabilise it like a wine (although someone will correct me if im wrong)

carbonating in the bottle will always produce a little sediment, but you can leave it in the bottle if you pour carefully.

regards
                              Bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Best way is to syphon off the lees into a clean bottle when you want to drink it. Or do what I do, brew 5galls and prime it in a king keg. All the sediment is below the tap and when it gets to that point revert to plan A
                                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Working...
                                X