Beer making members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul,

The recipe is from Papazians book, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing. I will look it up when I get home. Do you have some way to mash and sparge for all grain.

Jeff

Comment

Think i have that book somewhere ill have a look and let you know

regards Paul
      Two jugs of beer and even you cant understand what you're saying.

Comment

Hi jeff

yep i was right i have the book, i was going to try the Goat Scrotum Ale it look easy enough. Page 200 in the compleat joy of home brewing 3rd edition.

regards Paul
        Last edited by Reaper; 04-11-2005, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Beer

Paul,

Thats the one, there are some good recipes in there that don't take all day.

Jeff

Comment

I have a milk stout going right now. Just hope it is as good as the one I tryed at the last club meeting.
            You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning

Comment

Here is a simple extract recipe.
              2kg light malt extract
              200g crushed crystal malt
              1kg of dark brown sugar add towards the end
              4 sacharine tabs
              1tsp of irish moss
              75g of Goldings at beginning of boil 10g at end of boil and 5g to dry hop

If you don't have a boiler with hop strainer you can contain the hops and grain in hop bags.

When cooled to 30 deg c or lower pitch your yeast.
              When sg reaches 1010 transfer, draw off a pint or so of cool beer into a small pan, sprinkle on a packet of gelatine granuels mix in then bring to the boil briefly. Allow it to cool and add it to a secondary fermentor, then syphon the rest of the beer into the secondary. This can be kegged or bottled after 1 week but 3 would be better.
              sigpic

Comment

A simple all grain recipe
                4Kg of pale malt
                100g of Goldings hops (at start of boil)
                1 tsp of irish moss

mash at 65 deg c for 90 mins

when sg is stable for 24hrs keg or bottle, keep in warm for 2 days, then in cool place for 3 weeks.
                sigpic

Comment

Hi
                  thanks for that might try one next, ive just got an IPA on at the mo. I take it they are 5 gallon (UK) brews.

regards Paul

PS is the Gelatine for the finnings

Comment

Yes, I use the ones from the supermarket they have served me well, I don't think i'd bother if I were going to bottle. I need to do an experiment with and without sometime.
                    sigpic

Comment

To give that recipe an even deeper maltiness, consider baking half of the pale malt at 400F for 30-50 mins. Yummy!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevec
                        To give that recipe an even deeper maltiness, consider baking half of the pale malt at 400F for 30-50 mins. Yummy!

Steve
                        Or use a dark crystal instead. Saves the time in the oven.

Pat

Comment

Pat,

It's very different, actually. The "cooking" doesn't change the color of the grain much at all, but rather gives it a "freshly malted" flavor. In fact, the grain should not go past a light tan.

Steve

Comment

Daft as a brush

what dose the Irish moss do in the brew.

paul

Comment

It picks up the sludge that floats to the top during the boil.

Pat

Comment

It coagulates the proteins in the wort, allowing them to precipitate out of suspension. It is used during the last 5 mins of the boil. It isn't critical but it is cheap, easy to use and keeps for a long time so worth trying.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X