Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new boiler ( as against old boiler - sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good cooling will definitely drop out the chill haze. But if you do not have that available use gelatin. You can always use a bit more yeast to prime your bottles with but I doubt if you would need to as I think there would still be enough to prime after using the fining. I am not sure of what the names are of some of the fining's over there I have only seen Kwick Clear used as a term for a finning agent on this site. The stuff i am talking about is used by it's self there is no other package with it just gelatin. It does not take very much.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

After ferment at 20c it gets a 2 week rest in my brew shed - which is normally 10-15c ish this time of the year and 5 ish in the inter!
      I feel a sort trip to the fridge coming on.
      I don;t wait for clearing before bottling, 'cos I bottle condition. normally two weeks later it clears. First time is was cascade how is seems to be is OSH toooo.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Hello All

I bought a new boiler yesterday £49.99 and am checking it out now. I got it from Lidle they are selling them as jam makers and for jarring boiled fruits etc.

It is 27 Litre capacity and has an electronic temp set and electronic timer for the boil.

It also has a wide temp range so I am hoping it will be good for steeping the grain all in one go it also has a little trivet in it to lift anything above the heater. I also want to use it for Souis Vide cooking and the cheapest of those boilers is £250.

So I am over the moon lets hope it works well .... will report back laterIMG_0107.jpg
        Malc

Comment

You've bought the later model of lidl boiler. Mine is the early one with a manual temp controller. I use mine for sous vide (did last years Xmas confit goose and ribs of beef in it). I use a sousvide magic external PID controller and that works a treat. I wouldn't trust the temp controller on board for sous vide, especially at the lower end of the temp range (50-60C). However I would be happy t be proved wrong. I'd be interested to hear if you can get a rolling boil with it as that is what put me off buying another one. I had to "Break" mine to get a decent boil and I couldn't see an easy way to break that model to achieve the same.

Back to the beer. I follow a similar bottling regime to you Brian. The beer clears beautifully in the bottle but hazes up when chilled in the fridge. As I'm the one drinking it and it's tastes fine I've not thought to try to reduce the haze but willl have a play on my next brew. BTW the cascade ale hazes up far more than the hen clone (same recipe as you're using I think).

FYI RJB222 KwikClear is a 2 part fining using kieselsol and gelatine. If I was to make up a gelatine soln for fining, what concentration of gelatine would you suggest (Iwould put it through a syringe filter (0.2um) to sterilise it before adding to the beer.

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

FYI RJB222 KwikClear is a 2 part fining using kieselsol and gelatine. If I was to make up a gelatine soln for fining, what concentration of gelatine would you suggest (Iwould put it through a syringe filter (0.2um) to sterilise it before adding to the beer.[/QUOTE]
            You have a protein haze. It is harmless except for the look when cool it will not effect the flavor. Get a package of dry gelatin the proper mix is on the package. When I have used gelatin I only had to use about 1 tsp I believe it has been a while so do not depend on my memory. As far a Brian goes slow down wait for your beer to drop out in the demi john. Trub and other suspended particles add to off flavors and are bitter. Your beer will taste much better if you allow this to drop out before bottling I am positive you will be much happier.
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

[QUOTE=rjb222;90711}... slow down wait for your beer to drop out in the demi john. Trub and other suspended particles add to off flavors and are bitter. Your beer will taste much better if you allow this to drop out before bottling I am positive you will be much happier.[/QUOTE]

I will rack from trub and then refridgerate next time. Don't like to leave it to long, as I am not really inoculating when I bottle it. Mine doesn't go hazey when chilled its never clears in the first place. Perhaps the seasonal variation temp is the cause?

Thanks for the advice.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
                I use mine for sous vide (did last years Xmas confit goose and ribs of beef in it). I use a sousvide magic external PID controller and that works a treat. I wouldn't trust the temp controller on board for sous vide, especially at the lower end of the temp range (50-60C)

OOOOOOoooooo never thought of that - and I that just built the controller for this year grape ferment - YIPPEE.
                FYI settles on this one......http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-...item1e6d9328ce

Comment

If you've got a vacuum sealer then you're good to go. Where's the thermocouple go in the set up you've got? Most sous vide nerds would prefer maintenance of 1 0.5C temp difference. For me, +/- 1C over 24 hours is fine. Let me know if you want some sous vide recipes. I tend to cook cheaper cuts (duck legs, lamb shanks, ox tail, skirt steak, jacobs ladder etc).

To be honest, recently I have been experimented with the other extreme (pressure cooking). Ox tail, lamb shanks and belly pork all cook beautifully in a pressure cooker in a fraction of the time needed for sous vide. For batches of confit duck or meltingly tender hanger or skirt steak on the BBQ the water bath is king.

http://markblades.com
                  Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                  These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Working...
                  X