Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Dad needs help!

Hi all

I've just returned from my Dad's and he has a bit of problem with his batch of Barley wine.

Basically the old guy primed his batch of barley wine and transfered to his King Keg, then put it in a cold place with an electric heater/radiator underneath to heat the liquid. Now this has had no effect and resulted in no fizz.

I suggested he transfer to a warmer room in the house, which he did, but for some reason he also decided to chuck in a little extra yeast for good measure???

Anyhow the result is still a flat (marmite flavoured) beverage.

Any one got any suggestions on how it can be recified?
    Last edited by Duffbeer; 13-12-2007, 10:05 AM.

Originally posted by kerosine View Post
    Hi all

I've just returned from my Dad's and he has a bit of problem with his batch of Barley wine.

Basically the old guy primed his batch of barley wine and transfered to his King Keg, then put it in a cold place with an electric heater/radiator underneath to heat the liquid. Now this has had no effect and resulted in no fizz.

I suggested he transfer to a warmer room in the house, which he did, but for some reason he also decided to chuck in a little extra yeast for good measure???

Anyhow the result is still a flat (marmite flavoured) beverage.

Any one got any suggestions on how it can be recified?
    Firstly chucking in the extra yeast will be of no benefit whatso ever, the cold room is more than likely the problem (even though you have a heater) A steady temp is best for the first week of bottle/keg fermenting to allow secondary fermentation to take place.Then a cool place for three weeks is the norm. How much sugar did he use for priming ? Also check for leakage, kegs often leak from around the lid or tap when pressure builds.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 13-12-2007, 02:36 PM. Reason: to make quote work :)
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

not sure on the sugar content used - I will check

no leak on the keg - temperature was my call too but the old man refused to listen

having tasted it yesterday it is very yeasty, any ideas if that can be erradicated?

Comment

Time conditioning should stop the yeasty taste, once secondary fermentation has ceased the yeast should settle and the taste drop out. Just hope the extra yeast added subsides and doesn't float in the beer.
        National Wine Judge
        N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

what if the sugar content has been used up by the first batch of yeast would you recommend adding a touch to kick start the remaining/additional yeast?

it tasted rank like an I can normally drink anything!!

Comment

Sprinkle a t spoon of sugar into the beer, if you see a reaction then the yeast is still active, then re prime at 1 tsp per pint and seal tight.
            If no reaction is observed then the yeast could be inactive, remember barley wine is very strong it could have exhuasted the yeasts alcohol tolerance, what yeast was used ?
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

no idea what was used but I can check when I'm over there next

thanks for the advice

Comment

Working...
              X