No announcement yet.

oooooooooooooookay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todays effort will be full mash! (hence up early on a Sunday)

I am making one the beers for the dinner table on the Saturday night at the Guild of Wine and Beer Judges Annual conference (no pressure then)

Karl is making one of the others.

The theme is the big six (breweries) by the Young ones....

Now.... its a long time since I have been described as young, but I suppose these things are relative...

I am given to making a Castle Eden Brewery Porter...recipe Below:

(From brewing classic European Beers at Home: Wheeler and Protz)

for 23 litres:
    4.570 kg Pale Malt
    810 gm Chocolate Malt
    90 gm Golding Hops

single mash for 90 minutes at 67C (153F) boil for 90 minutes racking gravity 1.016

OG 1052 4.8% ABV

book described it thus:
    Based on an 1850 Whitbread recipe, this superb recreation has a rich chocolate and pungent hops aroma, dark malt and tart fruit in the mouth, and a long finish with chocolate, coffee, dark fruit and peppery hops.

sounds just yummy
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 10-08-2009, 08:11 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

OK
      gear out from cellar, cleaned and sanitised, 5 kilos of grain grushed using new malt crusher from brouwland, a hand cranked jobbie (note to self....but an electric one!)

grains in mash tun at 153 deg F.....waiting 90 minutes
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I need a wort cooler, it took me ages to get the temp down after the boil, just seemed to heat the cold water up!!!!

however bubbling away in primary this morning

alls well with the world
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Quite simple to make old boy. Get a coil of soft copper pipe solder on the appropriate hose connection on one end bring the other end up though the middle of the coils so as to identify which end is in which end is out.( The out end being the one coming up through the middle of the coil.) Solder on another connection and bingo a immersion wort chiller hook to your cold water tap and it takes around fifteen min to bring boiling wort to pitchable temperature below 80 F.
          http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            I need a wort cooler, it took me ages to get the temp down after the boil, just seemed to heat the cold water up!!!!

however bubbling away in primary this morning

alls well with the world
            Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
            Quite simple to make old boy. Get a coil of soft copper pipe solder on the appropriate hose connection on one end bring the other end up though the middle of the coils so as to identify which end is in which end is out.( The out end being the one coming up through the middle of the coil.) Solder on another connection and bingo a immersion wort chiller hook to your cold water tap and it takes around fifteen min to bring boiling wort to pitchable temperature below 80 F.
            Or call round my house, and pick up a free one in stainless steel, now then that's a bargain
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I also gave away my stainless steel not nearly as good at transferring heat. Copper is way better of a conductor.

Comment

Checked SG last night

WOW I've never had anything ferment that fast before (around 24 hours from 1.051 to 1.016)

but I used a starter culture that was active and contained some of the must so the yeasties were used to the environment I was placing them in and were primed and ready to partaaaaay
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Your wort must have been well ph balanced as well.With beer the quicker the better general rule cleaner less yeast off flavors . With a group of hard workers like you have you should think of getting another one ready to go when you move off the second set of trub and bottle.This I would wager this would be like the best brew man .LOL

Comment

Racked to Carbuoy....

dont have enough bottles to bottle it at the moment, and Ponte wine show this weekend, so busy with that, will bottle it later on
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                    X