• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
    Perhaps the best solution is a small Sunday lunch
    Now that sounds like a plan......
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

On our vineyard we check the nutrient levels in the vines throughout the growing season. Last year we were advised to notify the winery we supply our grapes to that the vines were low in nitrogen, it was presumed that the grapes would have a low YAN levels.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        hmmmmmm

thats all well and good, but wine that smells like rotten eggs is hard to drink

I wonder how one can analytically prove BQ is robbed?

I would sooner have the BQ robbed a teeny bit, (and I'm unconvinced it would be to any great degree) than chance a stalled fermentation, we as home winemakers operate sometimes in less than ideal fermentation conditions, so we need the insurance policy of plenty of nutrient.

I have heard it claimed that pectolase additions have a downside....
        I believe this to be tosh too

regards
        Bob
        hmm I doubt it would rob any thing worse than a stressed yeast due to lack of nutrient would.
        proper nutrient levels allow the yeast to function at optimum , allowing them to metabolise all the sugars and develop the polysaccarides etc thad give the wine better mouth feel and flavours as well as supporting the tannins integration.

I reccomend a complex yeast food that contains at least some organic nitrogen , or even a pure organic nitrogen food. these are easier for the yeast to metabolise so less is wasted and because the yeast are able to use the organic nitrogen easier than DAP , you can add less of it .

I would say that over dosing on nitrogen especialy if you are heavy handed with a pure DAP addition can leave higher levels of unused nitrogen in the wine , these leftovers may be fodder for spoilage organisms .

so two moderate additions , one early one a third of the way into the ferment and never after that is a good winemaking practice . especialy since there is no home method for YAN testing. ( I've never met a professional winemaker who didn't ensure proper nutrient levels in the must )

all it takes is one case of having to fight h2s and the drastic interventions requiered to save your wine and you will become a nutrient convert.

the healthier your yeast is the better hedge it is against h2s formation . so in the case that you get some grapes that got a late sulfur spray in the vineyard , using nutrient will ofer some buffer against this.
        Last edited by bzac; 01-07-2011, 09:57 AM.
        Zac Brown
        Wayward Canuck
        Wandering Wino

Comment

Originally posted by bzac View Post
          ................so two moderate additions , one early one a third of the way into the ferment and never after that is a good winemaking practice . especialy since there is no home method for YAN testing. ( I've never met a professional winemaker who didn't ensure proper nutrient levels in the must )
          I have your been reading the fermaid details and this is what they recommend. I am just in the process of getting a quantity of fermaid K.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            I have your been reading the fermaid details and this is what they recommend. I am just in the process of getting a quantity of fermaid K.
            you might wat to add some go ferm to your order . its a yeast hydration nutirent , not essential but it helps your yeast get off to a great start (espicialy in difficult musts , ie high sugar , so2 , acid etc) .

I'm a bit of a fanatic when it comes to healthy yeast .
            Zac Brown
            Wayward Canuck
            Wandering Wino

Comment

Working...
            X